help identifying animal mask

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 1:44 PM
      I've posted photos in an album called "animal mask" of a horned congolese mask that is very unusual:
      It appears to be a chimera-esqe composite of several animals--it has netting tacked to the cheeks that I think may be intended to suggest fish scales? The wearer would have looked through the mouth opening.

      The person that owned it believed it to be Luba. Does anyone notice any stylistic elements that might suggest a connection with any known artistic traditions from the Congo?

      Cheers!

      Chris