Re: [African_Arts] Benin Bronze Bust

  • amaechiisnow@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 7, 2011
      I asked for other views.the headdress is supposed to be that of the queen mother.I'm no expert though I lived in Benin for a decade and visited the Igun guild a lot.DarrylPeavy seems to have said it all.the craftmanship isn't as elaborate as other benin bronzes I have seen.it also isn't anything like recent 20th century work.but take a look at the Queen Idia bronze piece in the British musuem use it as a template.it might not have been made in benin.

      From: GARYGLS2000@...
      Sender: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 19:41:14 EST
      To: <African_Arts@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [African_Arts] Benin Bronze Bust

      If it was made in Benin its a Benin bronze. If you're asking if it came from the Kingdom of Benin, the answer is definitely not. I still suspect it was made in a Cameroon workshop. Check out Benin art on the web and you'll find authentic heads from the Kingdom of Benin in museum collections to compare to your's.

      In a message dated 2/6/2011 4:27:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, afrozencat@... writes:

      Hmmm....Thanks for your assessment.Though now I have even more questions.Like who would have made it if its not Benin?The Iyoba crown...mabey this is a very early bronze?
      Are you an expert?It sounds like you know what you are talking about.I appreciate the information....Are you 100% positive that it's not a Benin Bronze?I am just confused...is it or is it not a Benin bronze?.......very confused !

      From: "afrozencat" <afrozencat@...>
      Sender: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 04:59:42 -0000
      To: <African_Arts@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [African_Arts] Benin Bronze Bust

      Hello:
      I am hoping someone could tell me if the Benin Bronze bust I have is a 20th century repo. or is it older.If older then how old?Also, I would like to know if it is of the Queen Mother or is it the Oba?I posted a picture under "afr bronze" album, photo by "afrozencat":

      Thank you for any information you can provide me with.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 7, 2011
        http://sirismm.si.edu/eepa/eep/eepa_06937.jpg

        Bronze caster among the Bini people.  Eliot Elisofon, 1971.  Source:  http://sirismm.si.edu/eepa/eep/eepa_06937.jpg

        There are a number of previous postings that refer to resources on Benin casting traditions historical and contemporary including those referenced in Message 4261.  Also, I am excerpting some passages and links from a recent personal dialogue regarding resources for exploring the on-going casting traditions of Benin.

        Joseph Nevadomsky's writing on the Benin metal industry -- past and present -- is the most compelling and illuminating for those wishing to grapple with the complexity of understanding and appreciating the continuum of bronze production in that particular locale.  See especially his "Casting in contemporary Benin art" -- which is comprehensive in historical background and extended, relatively recent observation.  Also, see his "Art and Science in Benin Bronzes."

        Nevadomsky's site displays and also links to a slideshow of images of contemporary metalworking (in Benin City, I believe):  http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisaviva/with/3348606324/   or http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisaviva/sets/72157615057406655/
        This image of a Benin plaque next to the image in a book which it seeks to replicate is a good example of the on-going replication of traditional works:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisaviva/3347772549/in/set-72157615057406655/

        Additional articles and links:

        Igun Eronmwon: Guardian of ageless tradition:

        Lee

        From: "afrozencat" <afrozencat@...>
        Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 04:59:42 -0000