Bakete mask - DRC

  • tomkocsis
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2010
      Hi,

      I recently collected this mask in DRC. Although I have some information of its use, origin and the myth around its history, I'm wondering if anyone has any more information or came across something similar in the past.

      This double faced Kete mask is called the "mask of reconciliation". According to legend there were 2 brothers who separated after a major dispute to form separate settlements. After some time they both began to prosper. Many years later as people were crossing regions, news started travelling from one to the other about their similarity in traditions and customs. They decided to reconcile their previous differences and reunite as Bakete. To this day the Bakete are separated geographically within the Kuba Kingdom. This mask supposed to symbolize their reconciliation.

      Rather large mask. It's 22in (56cm) tall without the beard and 15in (38cm) wide. The raffia cap has a tiny bell inside.

      Thanks,
      Tom