An African Wood Mortar - from where?

  • john
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2010
      Bonjour Group,

      It has a fair amount of insect damage, the perpetrators must have had metal teeth since it is hardwood and weighs 4 ΒΌ kilos.

      What type of mortar it might be is also a mystery. The central hole is only 3in/7.5 cm diameter, 6in / 15 cms deep so I am guessing not for food preparation ?

      Base on stool designs so far I have thought Mbunda of Angola's Eastern borders ( the angularity of the body), Gourmantche from South Easter Burkina Faso ( the horizontal planes of the design ) and have even thought that the faceted central structure reminded me of some Dan stools. The zig zag decoration is probably a clue, but that suggests to me work from Southern Sudan.

      Well, that is half of Africa covered.

      If anyone has thoughts or ideas more organised than mine I would be most interested to know them.

      Thanking you in advance, John