Lele Royal mask

  • tomkocsis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2010
      Royal mask of the Lele, close neighbors of the Kuba. Hence the similar characteristics to the Kuba's "Mukyeem" mask resembling elephant trunk and use of cowry shells. On the royal Kuba mask however, the wood could not be visible (those must be fully covered in beads, cowry and fur without evidence of wood). Facial impression with strong emphasis on eyebrows, closed eyes and lines on cheeks, however, is typical Lele. Facial pigments fully intact and great shiny patina in the inside from wear. The top has a tiny bell inside. The red feathers are from the tail of a great gray African parroquet. Approx 20 in high plus goat hair beard.

      I'm looking for a valuation of my collection. I have a number of very interesting pieces from Congo as my focus is ceremonial objects from the Kuba and their relative tribes.

      Any idea would be appreciated.
      Tom