Bamana headcrest (?)

  • Lawrence
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2010
      I have described this as a Bamana (Bambara) piece but I would like to know if anyone has seen anything quite like it before?

      Thanks

      Lawrence
    • Veronique Martelliere
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2010
        Hello
        It could be a Bozo puppet

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2010
          Lawrence:

          This manniw puppet figure could possibly represent Ya-yoroba or Barabara, "the morally upright woman" [muso nyuman], as pictured  on page 183 in Mary Jo Arnoldi's "Material Narratives and the Negotiation of Identities through Objects in Mailan Theatre" in Mary Jo Arnoldi, Christraud M. Geary and Kris L. Hardin, eds., African Material Culture (Bloomington and Indianapolis:  Indiana University Press.  1996), pp. 167-187... or Jine-Faro, the riverine seductress...

          Foe more information and comparative resources on Bamana -- and Bozo -- puppetry, or sogo bo, see the above and:

          Mary Jo Arnoldi, Sogo Bo: The Animals Come Forth: Malian Puppets and Masks from the Collection of Mary Sue and Paul Peter Rosen. (Tenafly, NJ: The African Art Museum of the SMA Fathers. 1999).

          Mary Jo Arnoldi and Elisabeth den Otter, "Puppet Masquerade in Kirango, Mali: Continuity, Innovation and Changing Contexts," in Belcher, S., Jansen, J. and N'Daou, M., Mande Mansa Essays in Honor of David C. Conrad. (New Brunswick and London: Transaction Publishers, 1999), pp. 7-15.

          Mary Jo Arnoldi, Playing with Time:  Art and Performance in Central Mali.  (Bloomington and Indianapolis:  Indiana University Press.  1995).

          Elisabeth den Otter and Mamadou Keita, Sogo Bo, La Fete des Masques Bamanan, (Bamako:  Imprim Color. 2002).

          To view contemporary performances of Malian puppet theater, see Yaya Coulibaly's Sogolon Puppet Theater on Kennedy Center's ArtsEdge.  Also, figures more similar to that queried can be glimpsed briefly in this Yaya Coulibaly interview segment in "Back from Mali.".  For more information regarding Yaya Coulibaly's Theatre de Marionettes, see also   http://sogolon.com/yaya.php.

          Lee

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2010
            Wow - thank you for the response. I shall be looking up the references. Many thanks again, Lawrence