West African art tour help

  • mandres55 a
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2010
      I am a serious African art collector and am planning a trip to West Africa in February. I have booked a tour to Mali and have purchased tickets landing in Dakar, Senegal 3 days ahead and flying back from Accra, Ghana. I am planning an independent program beofre and after Mali, presently with the idea of Senegal for 3 nights and Burkina Faso and Ghana afterwards. I would appreciate any suggestions about other places to include, galleries, artists, museums, hotels, restaurants, etc. that members might suggest.
    • afriqueetc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2010
        The African art museum in Dakar has some interesting displays of objects in context.  The African art museum in Bamako has some great objects.  A visit to Dogon territory would be interesting.  I say this based on trips within the past couple of years.  I would like to hear from recent travelers the current status of the museums in Accra and Ouga.  I also wonder about Abidjan, which had one of the best African art museums in West Africa before the civil war.

        George

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2010
            Lagos, Nigeria is about an 1 hour from Accra, Ghana. I will be glad to show you around the beautiful city of Lagos and her museum in Lagos Island. There are also a few good places that you can stay

            Mudiare