Re: Please help Me Identify These Materials;Which one is ewe and which is Ashanti

  • piper.osullivan
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2010
      Hi John
      I work as an African textiles consultant at the Hamill Gallery in Boston. I believe nearly all of your photos are of Ashanti Kente fabrics. The blue and white textiles are a little ambiguous. Ewe fabrics tend to have a thicker and heavier feel to the weave. A great resource is a book called: African Majesty: The Textile Art of the Ashanto and Ewe (Thames and Hudson 1992).
      -Piper O'Sullivan

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "jcharles37" <jcharles37@...> wrote:

      > Thank you Steve for the information.I have added the photos of all the edges.I will do some more research on the the materials.Thank you once more, your input is appreciated.
      >
      > John
      >
      > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "spric1h" <sprice@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi
      > >
      > > I'd start by looking at the strips at and near the edges of your cloths (not visible in your photos, except for one piece). In Ashante cloths, these strips are in the same format at those in the middle - same background pattern, same spacing of brocaded motifs. In Ewe cloths these have fewer brocaded motifs, especially near the top and bottom. The strips at the very edges often have no motifs at all.
      > >
      > > I don't know that this is a 100% reliable diagnostic, but it's what you usually see in published "Kente".
      > > Regards
      > >
      > > Steve Price
      > >

      > > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "jcharles37" <jcharles37@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello everyone,
      > > > I have posted some textiles and a top;http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/727052533/pic/list
      > > > Can anyone help me differentiate between Ewe and Ahanti kente.
      > > > Are there any particular designs,colours or patterns to look out for?
      > > > Your help will be greatly appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > I would just like to add that there are seven different pieces of Kente
      > > > cloths,some might look very similar.
      > > > Please look carefully,I have also named them with different names in order to
      > > > easily identify the different pieces.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > John

    • spric1h
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2010
        Hi John

        The cream and the blue and yellow cloths look like what is generally attributed to the Ashante. I don't know what to make of the blue and white one. It's hard to be sure from the photos, but it doesn't look like it's a brocaded pattern and the ends don't look like those I associate with Ashante or with Ewe cloths.

        There was a site called Adire*, with lots of information on African textiles, but I can't find it today. Tim Hamill has lots of African textiles at

        http://www.hamillgallery.com/SITE/Textiles.html

        and if you compare the Ewe with the Ashante there, I think you'll be able to see the differences in the strips nearest the sides.

        Regards

        Steve Price

        *Moderator's note: See http://www.adireafricantextiles.com/
        http://www.adireafricantextiles.com/kenteintro.htm

        Lee

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2010
          Although not specifically focused on the specific Kente textiles to which John and generous respondents referred, this link to a video segment on contemporary Ghanaian textile work -- forwarded by Arie (Thanks!) -- may be of interest to group members:

          On Aug 7, 2010, at 7:23 AM, spric1h wrote:

          Hi John

          The cream and the blue and yellow cloths look like what is generally attributed to the Ashante. I don't know what to make of the blue and white one. It's hard to be sure from the photos, but it doesn't look like it's a brocaded pattern and the ends don't look like those I associate with Ashante or with Ewe cloths.

          There was a site called Adire*, with lots of information on African textiles, but I can't find it today. Tim Hamill has lots of African textiles at

          http://www.hamillgallery.com/SITE/Textiles.html

          and if you compare the Ewe with the Ashante there, I think you'll be able to see the differences in the strips nearest the sides.

          Regards

          Steve Price

          *Moderator's note: See http://www.adireafricantextiles.com/
          http://www.adireafricantextiles.com/kenteintro.htm

          Lee

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "jcharles37" <jcharles37@...> wrote:

          > Thank you Steve for the information.I have added the photos of all the edges.I will do some more research on the the materials.Thank you once more, your input is appreciated.
          >
          > John
          >
          > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "spric1h" <sprice@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I'd start by looking at the strips at and near the edges of your cloths (not visible in your photos, except for one piece). In Ashante cloths, these strips are in the same format at those in the middle - same background pattern, same spacing of brocaded motifs. In Ewe cloths these have fewer brocaded motifs, especially near the top and bottom. The strips at the very edges often have no motifs at all.
          > >
          > > I don't know that this is a 100% reliable diagnostic, but it's what you usually see in published "Kente".
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Steve Price
          > >

          > > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "jcharles37" <jcharles37@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello everyone,
          > > > I have posted some textiles and a top;http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/727052533/pic/list
          > > > Can anyone help me differentiate between Ewe and Ahanti kente.
          > > > Are there any particular designs,colours or patterns to look out for?
          > > > Your help will be greatly appreciated.
          > > >
          > > > I would just like to add that there are seven different pieces of Kente
          > > > cloths,some might look very similar.
          > > > Please look carefully,I have also named them with different names in order to
          > > > easily identify the different pieces.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > >
          > > > John

        • jcharles37
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2010
            Hi,
            Thank you all for taking your time to respond to my inquiry.I really appreciate all your efforts.

            Thanks,

            John