?baule ivory figure

  • janija53
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2010
      Hi, I am new to the forum and to African arts.
      Can anyone help with this figure, said to be a baule monkey:
      Could the Ivory be recent and artificially aged?
      I'm wondering whether it was made for the market or could it possibly have been used within the Baule community.
      A couple of people have told me that they think it may be a hybrid.
      If not Baule, does someone know what tribe it comes from.
      thanks
      Jane