Does anyone know what this is?

  • neil Lobo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2010
    • 879 KB
    I just saw this in a village outside our malaria research field site in Zambia...A helmet mask with copper on the mouth and eye area. it is pretty heavy. Does anyone know what it is?
    Thanks
    neil

  • eliza500@aol.com
    Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
      Hello.  I have seen a number of masks in Zambia and Zimbabwe which are "Congo-esque" pieces made for tourists.  This mask seems to be a "Kuba-esque" member of that category.

      Thank you for the work you are doing.  I lost a beloved Zambian friend to malaria...

      Best,
      Eliza

      Africa Direct
      2300 Krameria St.
      Denver, CO 80207

      2007 eBay Community Hall of Fame

      Visit our website, www.africadirect.com
      Visit our eBay Store africadirect

      We are very proud to have contributed more than $47,000 through eBay Giving Works. See our many charity auctions!
    • neil Lobo
      Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
        Thanks for the info.
        I work in East Africa and usually collect pieces in villages where I work. I did not get this one as it was too heavy and I did not recognize it.
        Sorry about your Zambian friend. I know what that feels like. I have worked with and befriended many people in malaria endemic countries, some of whom have been sick and some who have died. The children always effect me the most though...and how strong some mothers can be..no, how strong  mothers have to be!
        I just got back from kenya and zambia.
        Take care
        Neil