Idumu Lega mask?

  • kuokkanenjenna
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2010
      Hello group,
      I'm new to the group :)
      I own this Lega mask and I know there are different types of Lega masks used in different ways during ceremonies. I think this mask was not only hung on walls but also handled and physically used a lot as it does have a slightly oily and shiny patina. I'm wondering how this particular mask was used and whether it is an Idumu Lega mask or some other Lega type as it is not a Lukwacongo, I think. I think it is old as you can see the wood is grainy on the detailed photos.
      I think its quite a beautiful mask but would love to hear your opinions:)
      Jenna
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2010
        Jenna:

        Although I am not able to offer a conclusive response, I would like to pose some questions:

        Firstly, what are the dimensions of the mask?

        Also, you state that you do not believe the mask to be a lukwakongo.  What criteria prompted your inclination toward this conclusion?

        Lee

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2010
          Dear Lee,
          I read that Lega Idimu masks were worn on the face and also the back of the head (my mask is 24.5cm long and 16.5cm wide). If the mask is worn at the back of the head, won't it get patinated in the inside of the mask as seen in my mask? I found 2 references for this type Idimu masks that has this "monkey-like" facial characteristics in the Zemanek-Munster Auctions. Lot 244 of Tribal Auction 48 (http://www.tribal-art-auktion.de/en/catalogue154/d10_244/) and Lot 368 on the 56th tribal auction (http://www.tribal-art-auktion.de/en/catalogue163/d100_368/). This animalistic features I have only seen in Idimu masks so far. The heart shape concave face and general form of the mask is much rounder. The descriptions of the Idimu Lega masks in the Zemanek auctions above matches my masks description I think. Also the lukwakongo masks generally tend to be smaller even though I have seen some exceeding 20cm.
          Do you think my mask is an authentic Idimu Lega mask?
          Thank you for your reply,
          Jenna