TOM PHILLIPS' new book AFRICAN GOLDWEIGHTS: MINIATURE SCULPTURES

  • stellatebronze
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2010
      Hello, has anyone seen Tom Phillips' new book about African goldweights? I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the book.
    • rpearsonpe
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2010
        Thank you for the post. Just ordered it thru Amazon, $30 with free shipping. Phillips is a great author, "Africa The Art of a Continent".

        bob
        --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "stellatebronze" <stellatebronze@...> wrote:

        > Hello, has anyone seen Tom Phillips' new book about African goldweights? I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the book.

      • Gi Mateusen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2010
          Re: [African_Arts] TOM PHILLIPS' new book AFRICAN GOLDWEIGHTS: MINIATURE SCULPTURES It is a very interesting book because of the illustrations, The Phillips collection is unique and you can see a lot of types of weights I never have seen before.(fish , bird cast from nature...) The text is a compilation of the information in the most important studies.
          But the good thing is that after more than 20 years  there is a prestigeous publication of this wonders of  miniature art. It gives the weights the right place in african art and honours the masters of handicraft.
          --
          Gi Mateusen
          mobile: +.32.(0)477.300679

          Van: stellatebronze <stellatebronze@...>
          Beantwoorden - Aan: <African_Arts@yahoogroups.com>
          Datum: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:52:24 -0000
          Aan: <African_Arts@yahoogroups.com>
          Onderwerp: [African_Arts] TOM PHILLIPS' new book AFRICAN GOLDWEIGHTS: MINIATURE SCULPTURES

          Hello, has anyone seen Tom Phillips' new book about African goldweights?  I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the book.

        • hanstorm
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2010
            It is a very handsome book with weights of a higher quality compared
            with objects that can be found in a lot of museumcollections.
            A must have for the collector of weights, hans