New Guinea figures

  • cjt0974
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2010
      I know this is an african art group but hopefully someone knows New Guinea art and can help me to identify what type of figures I have recently purchased. The small figure has museum numbers on the back that say 6723, 20 Meilen, Bassler on the back. The sticker reads Sepik River, New Guinea, Coll. 1860's, Amsterdam Museum. It also states "This specimen illustrated in a book on New Guinea Art". I am wondering if anyone has seen this figure in a book or knows what it was used for? Thanks alot.
      The folder with the pictures of the figures are under - New Guinea figures:
    • Chris S
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2010
        Appears to be a pair of Ramu River area pieces. The first appears to be a betel nut mortar with a very small dish. Is the top an elongated shallow bowl with patina on the interior? The other figure also looks Ramu in style but I can't tell exactly what it is based on those images. I'm sure many others have more info.

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ album/419704783/ pic/list