Bracelet

  • john sebastian
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
    Can anyone help in identifying this object? It is quite massive over
    a kilogram. The metal is apparently white apparently throughout as
    there is a small tear and no sign of brass.

    This is another acquisition from the Hendelson Estate.
  • stellatebronze
    Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
      Hello, this type of bracelet has been manufactured en masse in Cameroon and Nigeria. It is definitely "made for trade" as they say, and it is quite a best-seller. You can find them on multiple websites selling african art including ebay.

      Are there any other bracelets from this collection I wonder? I came across a collection recently evenly divided between stuff made for trade and objets with a true ethnographic context.

      regards, Scott

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, john sebastian <johnsebastian@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone help in identifying this object? It is quite massive over
      > a kilogram. The metal is apparently white apparently throughout as
      > there is a small tear and no sign of brass.
      >
      > This is another acquisition from the Hendelson Estate.
      >

      > The only ting I have found similar on the web are Cameroon brass
      > bracelets
      >

      > I have number of images in my album "sebastian":
      >
      > Thanks

    • john sebastian
      Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2010
        No others as far as I know can you tell me the metal it is made of?
        And a website selling such? I've not been able to locate a look alike.

        On Apr 6, 2010, at 9:51 PM, stellatebronze wrote:

        Hello, this type of bracelet has been manufactured en masse in Cameroon and Nigeria. It is definitely "made for trade" as they say, and it is quite a best-seller. You can find them on multiple websites selling african art including ebay.

        Are there any other bracelets from this collection I wonder? I came across a collection recently evenly divided between stuff made for trade and objets with a true ethnographic context.

        regards, Scott

        --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, john sebastian <johnsebastian@ ...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help in identifying this object? It is quite massive over
        > a kilogram. The metal is apparently white apparently throughout as
        > there is a small tear and no sign of brass.
        >
        > This is another acquisition from the Hendelson Estate.
        >

        > The only ting I have found similar on the web are Cameroon brass
        > bracelets
        >

        > I have number of images in my album "sebastian":
        > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ album/567979532/ pic/list
        >
        > Thanks

      • stellatebronze
        Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2010
          Hello, try searching on ebay under "Cameroon bracelet". Quite a few will come up. Most of these are cast with a patina designed to look very old. Others like yours (which are all brass) are cast with a brilliant patina. see an example similar to yours on Ebay # 390178562943. Hamillgallery.com has one listed under Bamileke bracelet in their curreny section.
          Just this week I visited a collection where 20 of these bracelets were featured in a place of honor in a living-room curio cabinet. Meanwhile, examples of authentic Lobi, Tussian, Dan,Bwa and Bobo metal-work were relegated to storage!

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, john sebastian <johnsebastian@...> wrote:

          > No others as far as I know can you tell me the metal it is made of?
          > And a website selling such? I've not been able to locate a look alike.
          >
          > On Apr 6, 2010, at 9:51 PM, stellatebronze wrote:
          >
          > > Hello, this type of bracelet has been manufactured en masse in
          > > Cameroon and Nigeria. It is definitely "made for trade" as they
          > > say, and it is quite a best-seller. You can find them on multiple
          > > websites selling african art including ebay.
          > >
          > > Are there any other bracelets from this collection I wonder? I came
          > > across a collection recently evenly divided between stuff made for
          > > trade and objets with a true ethnographic context.
          > >
          > > regards, Scott
          > >
          > > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, john sebastian
          > > <johnsebastian@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Can anyone help in identifying this object? It is quite massive over
          > > > a kilogram. The metal is apparently white apparently throughout as
          > > > there is a small tear and no sign of brass.
          > > >
          > > > This is another acquisition from the Hendelson Estate.
          > > >

          > > > The only ting I have found similar on the web are Cameroon brass
          > > > bracelets
          > > >

          > > > I have number of images in my album "sebastian":
          > > pic/list
          > > >
          > > > Thanks

        • john sebastian
          Message 5 of 8 , Apr 13, 2010
            Thanks,

            I am however familiar with such bracelets this one seems different in that there is no indication of brass or bronze. This white metal does not seem to be merely a patina rather as there is a crack in the bracelet the white metal is apparently throughout the entire bracelet.

            On Apr 8, 2010, at 6:32 PM, stellatebronze wrote:

            Hello, try searching on ebay under "Cameroon bracelet". Quite a few will come up. Most of these are cast with a patina designed to look very old. Others like yours (which are all brass) are cast with a brilliant patina. see an example similar to yours on Ebay # 390178562943. Hamillgallery. com has one listed under Bamileke bracelet in their curreny section.
            Just this week I visited a collection where 20 of these bracelets were featured in a place of honor in a living-room curio cabinet. Meanwhile, examples of authentic Lobi, Tussian, Dan,Bwa and Bobo metal-work were relegated to storage!

            --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, john sebastian <johnsebastian@ ...> wrote:

            > No others as far as I know can you tell me the metal it is made of?
            > And a website selling such? I've not been able to locate a look alike.
            >
            > On Apr 6, 2010, at 9:51 PM, stellatebronze wrote:
            >
            > > Hello, this type of bracelet has been manufactured en masse in
            > > Cameroon and Nigeria. It is definitely "made for trade" as they
            > > say, and it is quite a best-seller. You can find them on multiple
            > > websites selling african art including ebay.
            > >
            > > Are there any other bracelets from this collection I wonder? I came
            > > across a collection recently evenly divided between stuff made for
            > > trade and objets with a true ethnographic context.
            > >
            > > regards, Scott
            > >
            > > --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, john sebastian
            > > <johnsebastian@ > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Can anyone help in identifying this object? It is quite massive over
            > > > a kilogram. The metal is apparently white apparently throughout as
            > > > there is a small tear and no sign of brass.
            > > >
            > > > This is another acquisition from the Hendelson Estate.
            > > >

            > > > The only ting I have found similar on the web are Cameroon brass
            > > > bracelets
            > > >

            > > > I have number of images in my album "sebastian":
            > > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ album/567979532/
            > > pic/list
            > > >
            > > > Thanks

          • stellatebronze
            Message 6 of 8 , Apr 14, 2010
              Hello, for me there are two issues. One: is this bracelet made for trade? The answer is NO DOUBT.

              The second question is: even if made for trade (meaning there is no authentic ethnographic context for this piece), what type of metal is it?

              Well, you must understand that there are many types of brasses. The appearance will depend on the mix of alloys used. As you no doubt are aware, brass is a mixture of copper and zinc ( as opposed to bronze which is copper and tin). But the percentage of zinc as well admixtures such as nickel, arsenic, lead etc will determine its properties. Silver I think is not likely since these pieces don't tarnish (correct me if I am wrong on that). Wikipedia has some interesting comments on "white metals" and "white brasses".

            • joseph anderson
              Message 7 of 8 , Apr 14, 2010
                Cast copper alloys, ie, most common types of brass will look white in a
                fresh crack.