Re: [African_Arts] Re: Luba Caryatid

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2010
      For reference (and possible source of inspiration), also see this Luba caryatid in the collection at Tervuren:
      Siège luba. Ht. 50cm. l. 31 cm.
      Trésors d'Afrique. Musée de Tervuren, op. cit., p. 195.
      Photographie R. Asselberghs.

      Luba, République démocratique du Congo. Région : Katanga. Siège à cariatide. Bois et pigments. H. : 57,3 cm. Don de E. Verdick. Musée royal de l'Afrique centrale, Tervuren Inv. n° RG 132 © Africa-Museum, Tervuren, photo Hughes Dubois.

      Lee

      On Apr 3, 2010, at 8:53 AM, afrikhantiques wrote:

      Thank you so much for the posts. They are indeed similar!
      Do you think our pieces were actually used or carved for the market? They also differ quite a bit from the Kayumba-museka from the Stanley Collection in terms of style and patina. I have doubts about their authenticity and I also doubt they are 50+ years old. How did you acquire your piece?
      Khan