Re: Artists' Reputations : Negotiating Power through Separation and Ambiguity

  • Craig Lewis
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2005
      Hi Bob,
      yes I do share your enthusiasm for contemporary masks etc.
      Until about 7-8 months ago I only collected traditional art but then
      I saw a brightly painted Igbo (I think!) mask that I liked very much
      and I bought that. I have since bought another couple of contemporary
      pieces and enjoy them very much.

      I cannot understand why pieces like this are not more sought after by
      collectors, I see them as an evolution of "traditional" art and not a
      separate class of object. I don't have much modern stuff, just a few
      masks and a couple of figures(my latest piece is a white Ewe figure
      sitting on a stool)but I enjoy them tremendously.

      BTW maybe we shouldn't sing the praises of modern masks etc so much
      or the price will go up!! :-)

      Cheers
      Craig

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Ibold" <bob.ibold@v...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Craig,
      > My participation in the group is sporadic, so I don't know much
      about you.
      > Do you enjoy modern African folk/traditional art? As a collector,
      I'm
      > particularly interested in contemporary masks that show change
      stimulated by
      > evolving traditions and the availability of new materials. Usually
      the kinds
      > of masks I'm looking for are disdained by the market.
      > Is there anyone else in the group who shares my enthusiasm?
      > Bob

      Power through
      > Separation and Ambiguity
      >

      > > I agree, nice article and like Bob I also liked the photo's with
      the
      > > painted pieces.
      > > I particularly like #5 the Idoma anjenu shrine figures,#9 the Mami
      > > Wata and also #10 the Gowon Mask.
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > > Craig
      > >

      > > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Ibold" <bob.ibold@v...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Thanks for that article. I especially enjoyed the captioned
      photos
      > > of
      > > > artists, costumes, and of course their wonderful painted
      carvings.
      > > Sure is a
      > > > lot different from the brown-toned, old-looking pieces we see so
      > > much of.

      8/12/2005
    • overthetopgallery
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2005

        Hi Bob & Craig,

        I too share your enthusiasm for contemporary African work. I have a fairly mixed collection, some old, some new. Just last year I purchased a beautiful mixed media painting from a Malian painter Malik Toure  http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/www/de/aussenpolitik/kulturpolitik/kunstprojekt/ausstellung/169_html  I have learned to collect what I like.   I find that collecting “older” pieces can be very difficult, expensive and if everything is just not “right” costly!

        There is so much amazing work being made @ present, paintings, sculpture, masks, (still made & danced) etc. As an artist myself I’m always amazed @ what I can purchase for relatively little $.

        I guess the best thing to do is keep collecting and enjoying.

        Btw does anyone in this group collect African instruments? Mbira, Sanza, Matape, Kalimba??

        wrote:
        > Hi Craig,
        > My participation in the group is sporadic, so I don't know much
        about you.
        > Do you enjoy modern African folk/traditional art? As a collector,
        I'm
        > particularly interested in contemporary masks that show change
        stimulated by
        > evolving traditions and the availability of new materials. Usually
        the kinds
        > of masks I'm looking for are disdained by the market.
        > Is there anyone else in the group who shares my enthusiasm?
        > Bob

        8/12/2005