Fante two headed figures

  • RAND (www.RandAfricanArt.com)
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I know I haven't participated in the group for a long time, but I've come across something that I'd like to put out to the group to see if anyone has any information on, or good reference suggestions for me on.

      I recently bought at auction a couple of Fante figures. Instead of having a singular rectangular head and trunk-like body, they have two heads represented at the top of the trunk-like body. They were sold as possible staff finials, which could be true because I've seen removable staff finials from the Asante and Fante, but I wondered if there could be another possible significance to these figures. A friend of mine has a similar example in her collection like the ones I purchased, and to my recollection it's the only other one of this type I've seen. The first thing that came to mind when I saw her figure was that it was possibly pertaining to a woman wishing for twins.

      Below is a link to photos of the figures, front and back. The patina indicates wear and use and some age.

      I've looked through most of the reference material I have and come up with nothing. I really don't have much that is specific to the Fante though.

      Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with figures like this, or possible reference material for me to look into?

      Thanks!
      RAND
    • ari birnbaum
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010
        Hi Rand,
        I ask my friend that came back from the S.F. Tribal Fair
        About your Fante pair.
        He had  seen very few "twin"dolls like this one before .
        From the photos they look like having some age and sign of use.
        Curiously[or interesting fact] the two made by the same artist.
        best -try to find their history from the previous owners
        or auction house you bought them from.
        Regards,
        Ari

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010
          Hello Ari,

          Thanks for your response.

          Yes, indeed they were both made by the same hand, and they both appear to have age and use. The collector they came from had a pretty nice collection of Asante objects in my opinion, all which appeared to be authentic and were good quality, I believe this was the only Fante offering from his collection.

          I got a private email from a member of the group who has done field research in Ghana. He said that he had a friend who at one time had 8 similar figures and he didn't think they were right, either.

          He stated:

           "the doubled form, which I believe is NOT traditional (could be, but I have never seen a "real" one). So I think the doubled form is wrong, and having two so closely similar in the same place at the same time makes me smell a rat.

          That's the long and short of my experience with them, inconclusive but not encouraging...."
          So, I am going to see what additional information I can find about their history, and I am also reaching out to a contact of mine who did extensive field research in Ghana and see what his experience is.

          I bought the figures simply because I liked the form, authentic or not. I'm going over to my freind's house tomorrow night who has a similar figure in her collection that she bought for the same reason. The interesting thing for me will be to take a close look at hers, because if memory serves me correctly her figure is almost identical to the 2 that I bought. This of course could mean several things, but in this case it's probably not a good thing.

        • GARYGLS2000@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010
            Rand, why not send pictures of the pieces to Herbert (Skip) Cole at UCLA for an opinion?

            Gary

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010
            • 1 Attachment
            • 741 KB
            Sometimes there are exceptions to the most common forms, look this chamba figure with 2 heads for instance

            Message 6 of 9 , Feb 18, 2010
              Hi,
              You can find another simular statue in http://www.arts-primitifs.com/shop-africain/arts-premiers-africains/poupees/0606-poupee-fanti-ancienne.htm

              kind regards

              --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "RAND \(www.RandAfricanArt.com\)" <rand@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I know I haven't participated in the group for a long time, but I've come across something that I'd like to put out to the group to see if anyone has any information on, or good reference suggestions for me on.
              >
              > I recently bought at auction a couple of Fante figures. Instead of having a singular rectangular head and trunk-like body, they have two heads represented at the top of the trunk-like body. They were sold as possible staff finials, which could be true because I've seen removable staff finials from the Asante and Fante, but I wondered if there could be another possible significance to these figures. A friend of mine has a similar example in her collection like the ones I purchased, and to my recollection it's the only other one of this type I've seen. The first thing that came to mind when I saw her figure was that it was possibly pertaining to a woman wishing for twins.
              >
              > Below is a link to photos of the figures, front and back. The patina indicates wear and use and some age.
              >
              > http://www.randafricanart.com/Fante_figures.html
              >
              > I've looked through most of the reference material I have and come up with nothing. I really don't have much that is specific to the Fante though.
              >
              > Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with figures like this, or possible reference material for me to look into?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > RAND

            • Richard Hager
              Message 7 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
                Greetings - Some years ago (10 to 15 years) I encountered a twin fante piece. It was being sold by a Northern California dealer. I was told by the dealer that Fante twin figures were extremely rare. It was quite different from the pieces that Rand bought, a bit more crude and less stylized. In fact, I have seen quite a few very similar to the Rand pieces. By several I mean upwords of ten. All were seen in the last few years. All are virtually identical. It is my opinion that these were made for the tourist trade in some workshop. Why does one not see pieces like this in auction catalogs and other scholarly texts? I think it is clear. - RH

                ---- mateusen1 <mateusen@...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                > You can find another simular statue in http://www.arts-primitifs.com/shop-africain/arts-premiers-africains/poupees/0606-poupee-fanti-ancienne.htm
                >
                > kind regards
                >
                > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "RAND (www.RandAfricanArt.com)" <rand@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi everyone,
                > >
                > > I know I haven't participated in the group for a long time, but I've come across something that I'd like to put out to the group to see if anyone has any information on, or good reference suggestions for me on.
                > >
                > > I recently bought at auction a couple of Fante figures. Instead of having a singular rectangular head and trunk-like body, they have two heads represented at the top of the trunk-like body. They were sold as possible staff finials, which could be true because I've seen removable staff finials from the Asante and Fante, but I wondered if there could be another possible significance to these figures. A friend of mine has a similar example in her collection like the ones I purchased, and to my recollection it's the only other one of this type I've seen. The first thing that came to mind when I saw her figure was that it was possibly pertaining to a woman wishing for twins.
                > >
                > > Below is a link to photos of the figures, front and back. The patina indicates wear and use and some age.
                > >
                > > http://www.randafricanart.com/Fante_figures.html
                > >
                > > I've looked through most of the reference material I have and come up with nothing. I really don't have much that is specific to the Fante though.
                > >
                > > Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with figures like this, or possible reference material for me to look into?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > RAND

              • Gi Mateusen
                Message 8 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
                  You can find another exemple of a "twin" Fante Doll in AFRICAN DOLLS for
                  play and magic. Esther A. Dagan. p37. With the description " Commercial
                  Fanta dolls exaggerated head "
                  --
                  Gi Mateusen
                  mobile: +.32.(0)477.300679
                  Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1 8:12 AM
                    Hi Rand,

                    Doing a search on 'Ghana' items on the Yale Univ. collection I just came across a Fante twin figure like yours. If you haven't already seen it: http://ecatalogue.art.yale.edu/detail.htm?objectId=84042

                    Unfortunately, there is not much information about its use. (It's nice though that Yale has photographed most of its collection and given the public access on the web - the photos are large enough and nicely done).

                    Did you ever find out more about the use? you mentioned the possibility that it was a staff finial...? any signs underneath that it could have been screwed into a staff? Would be curious to know more if you found out.

                    Anyway, nice piece!

                    John