Lamidi Fakeye: Thee Woodpecker and the Wordpeckers. A Tribute.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2010
      Dear Group Members:

      In honor of Lamidi Fakeye and upon his passing, our friend and colleague Moyo Okediji has requested that interested and inspired individuals share their expressions of tribute as well as any images of Lamidi Fakeye's works you may wish to offer for inclusion in an expanded catalogue of the artist's work.  Please see the message below and respond directly to Moyo via the email address provided.

      Thank you.  Lee

      Dear all:

      A body of poems is growing on Fakeye's work. I started with the one below. Rowland Abiodun responded with the second one. Please add your own poem and let us build a collection of poetic words to accompany Lamidi Fakeye in his passage through the seas of blood and water to the other realm. It is important that those in the other world realize that he was a great poet who wrote his lyrics with wood.    Please do not hesitate. If we don't salute an artist such as Fakeye at his passing, to whom do we give our honors! Please write  your poem, and forward this message... to keep the body of poems growing.

      In 1986 I edited a collection of essays in honor of Lamidi Fakeye, a rather small volume that was published by the Ife Humanities Society at O.A.U. I would like to update and expand the volume, now that Fakeye has become an Ere. I beseech you to please contribute an essay to the Fakeye celebration. Kindly let me know if you are interested in contributing an essay to this worthy project.

      Moyo Okediji

       MOYO OKEDIJI

      Lamidi, Lamidi, Lamidi

      Three times I called your name