Horned chokwe masks

  • vomacka.karel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2010
      Hi, does anyone know if the horned masks are commonly produced by chokwe people. I came across two such pieces in Prague (with the small figure of monkey? placed between the horns; ) but could not find any info through the net.
      Thanks a lot for any answer!
      KV

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
          Thanks very much Lee. I just uploaded the photos. Have a look please.

          Karel

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Lee Rubinstein <LeeRubinstein@...> wrote:

          > Karel:
          >
          > What you describe is difficult to visualize but does not sound likely
          > to be Chokwe. I am wondering perhaps if the masks which you describe
          > may not be Ivoirian -- Guro, Senufo or some synthesis thereof.
          > Posting images would allow for a more insightful response. Thanks. Lee
          >
          > On Jan 5, 2010, at 9:34 AM, vomacka.karel wrote:
          >
          > > Hi, does anyone know if the horned masks are commonly produced by
          > > chokwe people. I came across two such pieces in Prague (with the
          > > small figure of monkey? placed between the horns; ) but could not
          > > find any info through the net.
          > > Thanks a lot for any answer!
          > > KV

        • M.E.F.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
            To me it looks like composite made for sale on the Western market. M

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ album/1560520578 /pic/list

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
              Karel and Margalit:

              I am inclined to agree with you, Margalit.  While the portrayals of scarification elements seem to be derived from those seen on Chokwe masks, the horns -- particularly as wrapped with fiber -- suggest Pende inspiration.  Generally, however, the style, materials and introduction of the superimposed figure lead me toward concluding that these masks are contemporary decorative works.

              Lee