Re: [African_Arts] Re: Pierre Berge Auction, Ivories and... SOTHEBY'S-PARIS DECEMBER 3

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
      CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO VIEW SOLD LOTS FROM THE BERGE AUCTION* -- including Lot 355, a turn-of-the-20th-century Lega ivory (as well as 354, a Kongo ivory), which may be of interest to Christiane although the ivories you have presented, Christiane, are not likely of similar age or value.  Rather, among them are likely more recent reproductions of various recognizable Congolese figures -- Kongo, Bembe, Lulua -- as well as a variety of commercial productions in ivory and/or bone.  The appearance of ivory and/or bone sculpture in various styles but similar surface characteristics always calls for caution...  For more resources pertaining to Kongo ivories, specifically, see Nichole N. Bridges, "Kongo Ivories" in the Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000–. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/kong/hd_kong.htm (March 2009).  General information on ivory in African art and culture can be found in Ross, Doran. Elephant: The Animal and Its Ivory in African Culture. (Los Angeles: Fowler Museum of Cultural History, 1992.)  For group postings with information relevant to the consideration of ivory figurines, see Messages the string of messages, for instance, beginning with Message 3472.

      *Bergé sold lots:

      Meanwhile, looking forward, the catalogues for the upcoming Sotheby's-Paris African and Oceanic Art auction are now accessible on-line:

      African & Oceanic Art
      Sale PF9018

      3 Dec 09, Paris
      Exhibition Opens 28 Nov 09

      BROWSE NEW
      E-CATALOGUE

      Auction Details

      "The Paris auction of 3rd December presents a highly curated sale of sculpture from across Africa and the Pacific, including selections from several European and American private collection. Amongst the masterpieces is the highly important Dogon Figure (15th - 17th century). In a highly unusual story, the two haves of the figure were separated in the 1950s, having been sold by the Paris dealer, Pierre Verite. The two sections were reunited only in the last year. A masterpiece of the highest aesthetic perfection is the Bamana mask, with a perfectly ordered rhythm of the volumes, presented at the MoMA in 1984 in the landmark exhibition "Primitivism in 20th Century Art", displayed along with works by Max Ernst. From the Pacific, the selection is one of the strongest ever presented at auction in Paris, including sixteen exceptionally rare work of art from New Guinea from The Marcia and John Friede Collection (New York)."  Source:  http://catalogue.sothebys.com/events/PF9018

      African lots begin on page 86 with Lot 40.

      Lee

      On Nov 24, 2009, at 11:35 AM, stellatebronze wrote:

      Hello,
      Meant to thank Lee for clarifying the Pierre Berge Auction. I did see the few african art items available. When I previously looked at the cover of the PBA catalogue, I could not imagine there could be any african art.

      I also wanted to mention that Eyo Ekpo discusses the Cross River monoliths in his reference TREASURES OF ANCIENT NIGERIA, and he has a blurb about them in AFRICA: ART OF THE CONTINENT also.

      best, Scott