Re: [African_Arts] Kurumba Antelope mask

  • Veronique Martelliere
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2009
    Michael, it is difficult to tell you if this mask is authentic by just seeing photos (would be useful to see the base, the holes for attachment, a close look on the broken horn, the type of color used - well, the latter coud be chemical colors if this mask is still used among Kurumba - but this, i don't know). Anyway, this headdress seems to be in accordance with the usual patterns of Adone seen and described in literature. The unknown data is the type of wood in which these Adone are supposed to be made... but maybe it does not matter for Kurumba people.
    Anyway, i like it - and i might have succumbed, as you did !
    For your info, you'll find here the article of Schaedler* about Kurumba.
    * in "Encyclopedia of African Art and Culture" - 2009.

    From: proximatribal@ yahoo.com
    Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:15:47 -0800

    Bonjour Michael
    i don' think you should worry about the size. In the book of Bacquart, you will find a Kurumba headdress ("Adone") which is a little less than 24" (60cm). Another one, in a Paris museum, is 27 1/2.