Re: Chi Wara Headress

  • Steve Price
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2005
      Hi Subez

      It's a Chi Wara alright. The head of the lower figure is within the
      range that is found on such pieces.

      I don't think it is "authentic" in the sense of having been made for
      and used within the community. It appears to have been made for sale
      to Americans or Europeans for decorative purposes.

      My reasons for thinking this are,
      1. the edges are relatively sharp and angular, rather than worn
      smoothly and somewhat rounded from handling and exposure;
      2. the surface patination doesn't seem appropriate to an object that
      developed it through handling.

      If you acquired it for decorative purposes, I think you made a nice
      choice. It has a nice flowing quality to it, and relates to an
      interesting ethnographic tradition.

      Regards,

      Steve Price

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "subez" <subez@a...> wrote:
      > I am new to the group and am hoping someone might be able to help
      me
      > with a piece I recently acquired. I think that it is a Chi Wara
      > Headress. The interesting thing about it is the figure on the
      > bottom. I have seen photos of other pieces but none with the dog
      like
      > head on the bottom. I have created a photo folder called "Chi Wara
      > Headress" with some photos of the piece in it. Any information
      would
      > be appreciated.

      lst?.dir=/Chi+Wara+He
      adress&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/