Little fang figure

  • richard.dams
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2009
      Hello?
      Sorry for my broken English, I do my best. Could anyone tell me if this statue is authentic? Should it really be a NTUMU figure. Thanks

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2009
        Richard:

        My initial thoughts focused on the fact that the figure is situated on a base, and I could not recall any examples in which this is the case.  I perused some examples in books of Fang statuary as well as examples accessible on-line and still this feature struck me as "inappropriate."  However...  I came across an article by James W. Fernandez which I had not previously read in which he calls into question the range from which purportedly authentic Fang figures have been generally selected and in which the possibility of this structural element not generally seen is not excluded.  Although figures with this aspect do not seemingly appear among the classified objects that have received considerable attention by Louis PERROIS --  upon whose work much assessment of Fang authenticity is based, it is worthwhile to consider this possibility.   I recommend reading the article, "Fang Reliquary Art -- its Quantities and Qualities" and then proceeding from there.  This is an important article for anyone interested in Fang statuary and provides -- more broadly -- excellent impetus toward a stance of open thinking in the consideration of authenticity with regard to this seemingly well-considered tradition!  Among the important general concepts that Fernandez introduces -- in addition to identifying the limited field of examples upon which Perrois based his insightful but perhaps incomplete analyses of Fang statuary -- is the important integration of indigenous realities and perceptions in formulating an understanding of what constitutes authenticity and meaning within the contexts of the Fang life and artistic production under consideration.

        That being said (and as touched upon in the cited article as well as others by Fernandez), symmetry and balance are important elements of Fang representation; and it is the absence of these aspects -- particularly the asymmetrical posture and positioning of the arms of your figure --  that would lead me to question whether the figure you query is an authentic expression of these Fang symbolic elements.  For more on this topic and a closer reportage of observations of Fang social life, symbolism and artistic production, also see  Fernandez's "Principles of Opposition and Vitality in Fang Aesthetics," which originally appeared in 1966 in the Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism  and can be found in Carol Jopling, ed., Art and Aesthetics in Primitive Societies.  (New York (E.P. Dutton & Co., 1971).

        Lee

        On Sep 10, 2009, at 5:45 PM, richard.dams wrote:

        Hello?
        Sorry for my broken English, I do my best. Could anyone tell me if this statue is authentic? Should it really be a NTUMU figure. Thanks

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ album/1889887759 /pic/list

      • oliviersalandini
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2009
          Hello Richard,
          It is clear to me that the figure is not an authentic one. The style, the carving and the patina show that it is a modern production. Authentic Fang are really rare, and ALWAYS very expensive, on the other hands there is thousand and thousand of fakes arrived in the market for years.