Re: [African_Arts] stool chokwe

  • Gi Mateusen
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2009
      Re: [African_Arts] stool chokwe Very simular indeed. Thanks for the interesting information. I have some books of the Dapper Museum but not that one that was given as reference.

      --
      Gi Mateusen
      mobile: +.32.(0)477.300679

      Van: Georges Jungle <bluesinparis@...>
      Beantwoorden - Aan: <African_Arts@yahoogroups.com>
      Datum: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:53:03 -0700 (PDT)
      Aan: <African_Arts@yahoogroups.com>
      Onderwerp: Re: [African_Arts] stool chokwe

      Hi Lee and all,

      You will see from the link a very similar stool from the catalogue of a sale scheduled in Paris in September 18. The pdf version of the catalogue contains a much better photo of the object (lot 80, page 35).

      http://www.massol-sa.com/flash/index.jsp?id=5287&idCp=7&lng=fr <http://www.massol-sa.com/flash/index.jsp?id=5287&amp;idCp=7&amp;lng=fr>

       <http://www.massol-sa.com/flash/index.jsp?id=5287&amp;idCp=7&amp;lng=fr>
      Regards,
      Georges

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
        P1020042

        Gi (and Georges) et al:

        You will find in the Sotheby's [Paris] catalogue from December 5, 2006 a figure (Lot 129, below) with a different but equally notable and expressive arm position and quotation of brief remarks based on an accompanying note by Marie-Louise Bastin suggesting that there may exist a body of writing by Mme Bastin that will reveal some explication of the posture about which you, Gi, inquired.

        "...toujours selon Marie-Louise Bastin (idem), cette statue féminine représente une statue d'ancêtre (kaponya wa pwo), dont le geste - d'étonnement et de pudeur - est fréquemment représenté sur les barreaux de chaise historiés des Tshokwé, évoquant la frayeur ou l'étonnement d'une femme surprenant une scène d'adultère ou de maladie."

        Following up on the reference to "les barreaux de chaise historiés des Tshokwé" in the text above which accompanies Lot 129, I also note the placement of the arm on the shoulder -- as on the figure of your stool -- in two of three figures carved at the base of an early 20th century "Chief's throne with figurative scenes" which appears as Figure 18 in Manuel Jordån, ed.,  Chokwe!: Art and Initiation Among Chokwe and Related Peoples (Munich, London, New York:  Prestel.  1998).  The caption reads "The front rungs may represent a coronation scene and three seated male initiates at the bottom."  The repetition of this arm posture in Chokwe figural representation -- both in male and female figures -- suggests that a ritual meaning may be encoded in and/or represented by this specific positioning and that this meaning may be found through continued research and exploration of figures, stools, thrones and texts.

        Lot 134 (above) a Chokwe tobacco mortar which was offered in the same auction, also displays notably pronounced arm positions but, alas, no detailed explanation of these features.  Worth noting in light of the appearance of other stylistic influences particularly in the face of the caryatid figure supporting your stool -- Pende, for example, as noted earlier, I believe -- is that Figure 134, though Chokwe, is attributed to a Kasai-region atelier -- a reminder of the complex inter-relationships of cultural and stylistic influences which make attribution a challenging and fascinating task.

        Lee

        On Aug 31, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Georges Jungle wrote:

[...]

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ album/1989667169 /pic/list?

        Thanks