Mask

  • ldmaor
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2009
      Thank you all so much for your help!
      Best,
      Lisa
    • artenegrotribalarts
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2013
        Can anyone please help me to identify the origins of this Congolese mask ?

        Thank you very much,

        David
      • toul54200
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2013
          It looks to be yela (mbole).

          Best,

          Nick

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "artenegrotribalarts" <artenegro@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone please help me to identify the origins of this Congolese mask ?

          > Thank you very much,
          >
          > David

        • david m
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2013
            Thank you

            To: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
            From: nick.marriner@...
            Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:19:19 +0000
            Subject: [African_Arts] Re: Mask

            It looks to be yela (mbole).

            Best,

            Nick

            --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "artenegrotribalarts" <artenegro@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone please help me to identify the origins of this Congolese mask ?

            > Thank you very much,
            >
            > David

          • Phillip Patrick
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 19, 2013
            Can someone give me some information on the mask attached with a value.
          • nighti2ider
            Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 2013
              This mask is an aberrant interpretation of a well known traditional mask made for market. It is not a very appealing interpretation in my opinion. The question of value is often a question left unanswered in this forum, in part due to the subjective nature of assigning value. In the case of decorative pieces made for market in a workshop perhaps not even located in the country of origin of the traditional form, value is greatly diminished. Such pieces are common among low-end dealers and flea market vendors ... The scenario might go something like this upon asking the price from such a dealer ... How much? - Give me 250 - what? 250?? that's TOO much - what's your BEST price? - OK .. give me 200 - Hmmm ... I don't know ... the face isn't right .. the horns aren't right ... I saw so and so with one better than this for $150 ... how bout 100? --- I suspect that deal would close ... and you might even get it for less.

              Here's another possible scenario, just for fun ..... Excuse me ... how much is this mask? -- Give me $350, I just traded for it from a big collector in CA... very rare mask --- Really? I love the carving on the face and the way the horns curve. -- It's one of a kind! --- Can you take any less? --- It's your lucky day... I close my eyes ...give me 300. - Great! I'll take it!

              I took a look at ebay and there are a number of Goli masks being offered there ... On just the first page they ranged from $129 to $750. A good, old Goli mask can cost thousands. I suggest you look around ... type in Baule Goli Kplekle mask ... in Google .. and in Ebay.

              Daniel

              [Attachment(s) from Phillip Patrick included below]
              Can someone give me some information on the mask attached with a value.