Re: [African_Arts] ?????

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
      Bob,
      In my opinion, the piece has characteristics of a Baman figure. The face, the hair the way it is represented coming down behind the ears, the breasts are more in line with Bamana than anything else. I don't have any images to support my opinion, but you have my opinion.

      Regarding your Ambete/Mbete figure, I have hosted an image on my site of an Ambete figure in the book The Tribal Arts of Africa.

      The image and information can be found in the link below:

      Any luck finding more about your piece at the local area museum?
      RAND

      rizzo_bob <overthetopgallery@...> wrote:
      Can anyone help identify this female figure ... I think she's Banana
      but I'm not completely sure.

      the two photos are posted under Bobs Mbete.

      Thanks!!!

      Bob Rizzo

    • overthetopgallery
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005

        thanks Rand ---  I think you are right on the $ But I just wasn’t sure. As for the Mbete figure I hope to know more next week... I’ll keep you posted...again thanks!!!