Re: [African_Arts] Help with mask attribution - south eastern Nigeria

  • Veronique Martelliere
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 13, 2009
      Hello, Andrew
      I'd say your mask is Idoma or Ibo, at the Idoma "border" !

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 13, 2009
        Hi Vero, where have you been? I have missed your knowledgeable and witty comments. M

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 13, 2009
          Thanks Vero.

          I'd love to hear if there is any one-thing (or any combination of stylistic elements) in particular, in your mind, that sets it in that area.

          All the best

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Veronique Martelliere <proximatribal@...> wrote:

          > Hello, Andrew
          > I'd say your mask is Idoma or Ibo, at the Idoma "border" !
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Veronique Martelliere
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009

            Bonjour, Andrew !

            I dug and dug and, in fact, it seems to me that this mask could be Idoma as well as Igala - but not Ibo or Ibibio.

            Features

            domed forehead : more Idoma than Igala

            head crest : more Igala than Idoma

            deep set eyes : more Idoma than Igala

            ears : more Idoma than Igala

            "speaking lips" - teeth apparent : more Idoma than Igala

            way the hair is indicated : more Igala than Idoma 4 Idoma / 2 Igala

            Scarifications

            Vertical on the forehead : more Idoma than Igala

            Between eyes & ears : more Igala than Idoma

            On the cheeks : more Igala than Idoma

            In favor of Igala (as deep as i could dig), is the fact that the mask-wearer sees through the mouth of the mask (did not find this particularity among Idoma masks).

            Neyt writes in "The Arts of the Benue" :

            "..in the Yangedde district, the Idoma culture joins that of the Igala".

            In the Goldet Collection, there was such a mask identified as Idoma-Igala.

            Herewith, a few pictures.

            Let's see what Lee thinks... as he can dig much deeper than i can do.

            Hoping i did not make the confusion deeper,

            je te salue !

            Vero

            I'd love to hear if there is any one-thing (or any combination of stylistic elements) in particular, in your mind, that sets it in that area.

            All the best

            --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, Veronique Martelliere <proximatribal@ ...> wrote:

            > Hello, Andrew
            > I'd say your mask is Idoma or Ibo, at the Idoma "border" !
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • Veronique Martelliere
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
              Bonjour, Margalit !
              And thank You. I must confess my infidelity. "Resisting to everything except temptations", i fell again in love with Indonesian Arts. But still in love with African Arts. Divorce is not at all planned : just switching.
              Hhmmmmmm !

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
                What a wonderful response - thank you Vero.

                I must admit that when I scrolled through the images you had attached, and hit the last one (Igala-neyt) I felt that I instantly recognised the mask.

                To my eye, the shape, scarification patterns, eyes and coiffure were all readily identifiable.

                It may not be easy to see in my images, but even the beard in the image you sourced is recognisable - on my mask it is flat against the chin, but the 3 dimensional layering, style and pattern is the same.

                Thank you once again - I spent a 2 full days searching reference books without success.

                Andrew

              • kasumba stephen
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 15, 2009
                  Dear Veronique,
                  I 've always enjoyed your sometimes unconventional but positive contribution regarding african Art issues. i kept all this in my mind till today that i 've been installed back to my PhD. programme, i request you to be my informal supervisor please. the title" AFRICAN ART STOPS TO MERELY EXIST IN OUR ART SCHOOLS  AND STARTS TO LIVE"
                  and whoever has questions, contribution etc please go ahead check  KASUMBA STEPHEN www.google.com

[...]

                  African Arts and Culture Discussion Group

                  Support Group
                  Share your weight-
                  loss successes.
                  Yahoo! Groups
                  Join a group for
                  cat owners like you
                  Yahoo! Groups
                • M.E.F.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 16, 2009

                    Hi Vero,

                    I see! All I know of Indonesian art is the Shadow Puppets (am not even sure they are Indonesian?) You live in Nigeria, don't you? How much access or exposure do you have there to Indonesian culture? Do you travel? Are you talking about books?

                    I to am a promiscuous person in this respect. I own some contemporary paintings and am buying more. Have been flirting with Russian Art as well and even go as far as going after the very very old: ancient Amlash art and other beauties as old as 3000 years. How is that for infidelity and even kinky tastes?

                    Thanks for writing.

                    Be well,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 16, 2009
                      Hello, Stephen !
                      I'd be glad to assist you - but in which way, exactly ?
                      What would be the development & ideal conclusion of your thesis ?

[...]

                      *Website for the group: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/

                      *Photos folder for the group: http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos

                      *Message archives for the group: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/messages
                      Support Group
                      Share your weight-
                      loss successes.
                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Join a group for
                      cat owners like you
                      Yahoo! Groups

                    • kasumba stephen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 21, 2009
                        Dear Vero,
                        Hope you got my idea of the reseach program- so  what may you have to say? am now seriously concetrated on it.
                        regards
                        kasumba stephen