Punu door

  • wojtkowskijames
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7 4:36 PM
      Hello, all. Thanks, Lee, Armin and others for your input!... and, no, our experience with the "mystery mask" has done nothing to lessen our love for African art. In fact, we are excited to learn all that we can (by the way, we did not specifically buy that bowl/mask, rather it was included in a collection, with some of which we will again ask kind assistance from members).
      Attached* are photos of a door which we figure is Punu (?) However, we have not been able to learn what type of door this is. We are aware that the faces are said to represent the spirits of deceased persons. Hence, could this be a funerary door? It seems that it may be authentic, judging from the significant wear around the edges of the door (?)
      Some other interesting aspects include the repair-work (cracks in the wood have been mended with a rattan-type material, perhaps by the people who used it? as glue was not used in its stead). Also, perhaps someone could shed some light on the three holes in the door, which are also well-worn to the point of being shiny in some areas.
      We are looking forward to another interesting discussion!

      Thanks! Petra and Jim
      wojtkowskijames@...

      *Image links: