Re: [African_Arts] Unknown mask?

  • Paul DeLucco
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2009
      Joe,

      It is not Hemba.

      But the double set of eyes is interesting.  The only other mask I have seen like it was one  attribued to the Kwele, I think, in the Willy Mestach collection.  I haven't been able to Google up a copy of the photo, but Rand attended the Mestagh exhibition in Brussels and might have a photo.

      Very interesting mask.  It could well be Kwele or a neighboring group.

      Regards,

      Paul

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2009
        Re: [African_Arts] Unknown mask? Hello,
        You can find similar masks by the Bembe. (cfr Felix 100 peoples of Zaire p. 11 ill 8 and The eternal face. Berg en Dal. p138)
        Kind regards
        --
        Gi Mateusen
        mobile: +.32.(0)477.300679

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2009
          Thanks Gi. That is the closest I have seen. The drawing is a bit crude
          and the lines hard to interpret, but seems to fit. I hope to find a
          better representation someday.
          Joe

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2009
            Hello Joe,
            The picture in the book "The eternal face" is very similar. If you don't
            have this work I will make a scan and send it to you. The author writes
            "when the ancestors appear in masquerades, they are clearly different,
            strange beings that belongs in two worlds and therefore may have two pairs
            of eyes"
            Kind regards
            --
            Gi Mateusen
            mobile: +.32.(0)477.300679

          • RAND (www.RandAfricanArt.com)
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
              Hi group, it's been a while...

              Joe, you are inquiring about this mask that you posted photos of:

              Yes, as Paul indicates, there was a similar mask at the Mestach exhibition in Brussels in June of 2007. Here is a link to the photo of the mask in the exhibition:

              The mask is documented in the book "L'Intelligence des Formes" on page 142, along with several other masks that have double faces or a couple of sets of eyes. Unfortunately the text is in French, but I'll attempt to make a rough translation.

              The mask is attributed to the "Bembe or neighbors". It is photographed next to a Bembe mask with two sets of eyes on it which I also photographed at the exhibition (http://www.flickr.com/photos/randafricanart/532048660/in/set-72157600599092634/).

              The text that accompanies the mask is roughly translated as follows:
              This mask with four eyes, according to local tradition, would represent the spiritual chief of the community that is in charge of ancestor protection in which the ancestors give to him in addition to wisdom, the ability of double sight. It then starts to talk about the influences on contemporary art by this type of mask.

              So, I hope that helps some. The mask in the Mestach exhibition was truly amazing.

              Here is a link to the photos of the exhibition:

              The link to the photos is down the page a bit.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
                Hello to all,
                Thanks for all the help from everyone on the 3 pieces I have posted.
                It is so nice to finally be able to put a name to these.
                Joe