Any Ideas? - two masks and a figure

  • johnhf1947
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2009
      Greetings Group,

      A couple of wood masks and a figure that have been taxing my limited intellect,so I throw myself at the feet of those with a greater depth of knowledge.

      The horned mask's face is 21 cms,the horns bring it to 34 cms.It is quite light. Initialy I thought the face was covered with skin Ekoi style but the damage on the nose would suggest it is old libation encrustation that starts from the base of the horns. From some 1950's Togo based American teachers, I can see nothing that suggest it comes from that area. The tape on the back's photograph is my list of various tribes from where I thought it might have originated including Baule, Senofu and one or two obscure Nigerian peoples – usually depending on what I had had for lunch. (See
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/1528083682/pic/464039938/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc )

      The small brown mask is very light and is about 24 cms max. Sold as Ngbaka but with no ribbing on the nose and the eyes do not seem to fit that area , I have mused on several tribes it might have come from. Luala or thereabouts?I really do not know. (See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/1528083682/pic/1362499838/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc )

      The reddish 27 cm figure came to me as Yoruba but apart from the stylized Portuguese hat (?),the Rickets blue applied thereon and running down onto the head – and maybe the Shango thunder god red beads – nothing much says Yoruba to me.The stance, the strange configuration of the knees in relation to the body,and the general crude carving especially on the face mystifies me. (See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/1528083682/pic/1556462462/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc )

      So if anyone feels strong enough – and no, this is not a devious way of trying to sell something – please tap your thoughts to keypad.

      Hope 2009 is treating you mercifully, John

      *Moderator's note: Although one can upload only five images at a time using the Yahoo Group's photo upload program, additional images can always be added to an album -- and/or deleted and re-arranged -- if you wish to include additional images or revise images posted. Lee
    • Beth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2009
        "The stance, the strange configuration of the knees in relation to the
        body,and the general crude carving especially on the face mystifies
        me."

        Looks like what I'd call "Atypical Yoruba" :-) I have a few weird ones
        myself, but what struck me is the similarity in stance - the long shin
        and short thigh - between this and a maternity shrine figure (an Esu
        from the looks of it) that I have and have posted in my
        album, "Elegbara's Daughter." Crude in the face (I am stabbing at air
        here) might even suggest a closer relationship with the Yoruba's
        western neighbours like the Fon who put a heck of a lot less emphasis
        on execution of features. (Someone help us out here!)
        Best
        Beth