Re: [African_Arts] African Slave Doll carving

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
      You can begin searching scholars and institutions who might be able to shed light on your figure by perusing the listing contained in Message 3057.  Too, you may find additional, relevant resources pertinent to the study of African-American history and traditions in Kentucky through the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives at http://kdla.ky.gov/researchlinks/blackhistory.htm .  Perhaps you can also access the specialized assistance you seek through the Smithsonian's National Museum of African History and Culture's National Collections initiative (see http://nmaahc.si.edu/section/programs/view/47 or http://nmaahc.si.edu/).

      Feel free to create an album and to upload images to elicit additional impressions and ideas about the "doll" about which you have inquired.

      Thanks, Lee

      On Jan 3, 2009, at 8:04 PM, scorp_ette2002 wrote:

      I live in Ky and we have a carved wooden doll that my husband found 17
      yrs ago while digging a flower bed next to the foundation of our hose.
      The house was built in 1824 and had slaves on site. I dont know how to
      go about having her appraised or authinticated. I send pics to Sothebys
      and Christies auction houses but only when I contacted a African Art
      dealer in NYC did we get much info. He seemed to think she was of ebony
      wood after looking at photos and had survived underground for so many
      years. Any advice?

    • Bob Ibold