Unknown masks...any help in identification would be great!

  • Jena
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24, 2008
    • Joanne
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 24, 2008
        The one you think is from New Guinea is from there, Middle Sepik, I think.  Also it seems to be pretty modern.

        Joanne

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 24, 2008
          Hello, Jena.

          Thanks for sharing images of the masks which you seek to identify.  The style of the first three masks (antelope, crocodile and bull [or buffalo]) allows one to look among related examples from the Bobo or Bwa or Nuna of Burkina Faso to determine more specifically the specific origin, significance and authenticity of each.  One of the best resources to explore for masks of this region is Christopher Roy's presentation regarding "The Art of Burkina Faso" which can be accessed through this link:  http://www.uiowa.edu/~africart/Art of Burkina Faso.html

          Another excellent resource in the realm of Burinabe masks is the recently published book, Land of the Flying Masks: Art & Culture in Burkina Faso, the Thomas G. B. Wheelock Collection co-authored by Dr. Roy and Thomas Wheelock.

          I agree with your suggestion that the fourth image depicts a mask that is more likely of New Guinean origin (possibly from the lower or mid-Sepik region, as indicated by Joanne), while the fifth is more of a mystery -- not likely of African origin.

          Lee