Re: [African_Arts] Re: Unknown West African Mask Forms... Can anyone help identify?

  • Brian Edwards
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2008
      Hello Oliver,

      Thank you for your review and comments. In reference to the second mask, we can see some resemblance to the Senufo Kpelie style, in regards to the horns, abstract shapes protruding from the ears and the leg-like extensions from the chin. Unfortunately the naturalistic facial features do not usually fall among the typical artistic output of the Senufo and therefore we had withdrawn this culture as a possibility. As a result of these realistic traits, some have claimed it to be of the Ibibio peoples or a related group.

      Best Regards,
      Brian