Re: Help identify Mask

  • havanajake
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
      I agree completely with your assessment of the mask, and of the
      general "reality" in Africa. I accept now, after much research that
      the mask (most probably) can not be considered "traditional".
      Nonetheless, I believe in its authenticity. (Of course, this is an
      easy and self-satisfying position to take...)

      Regarding Indonesian influence, yes, Felix has addressed the issue,
      but I think no one more comprehensively than Dick-Read. The question
      does still linger: "why would they travel around to the west coast
      and end up in the Niger Delta?". However, because we don't know the
      answer to that riddle, we should not disregard the body of evidence
      for that very reality. (Check out:
      http://www.phantomvoyagers.com/Book.htm )

      MAny thanks for your interesting thoughts.

      Kind regards,
      Christopher Mullen (Jake)

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Veronique Martelliere
      <proximatribal@...> wrote:

      > "Please, carver, for the masquerade of next festival, could you
      make a mask of this stranger who came to our village, some time ago,
      and who was so much fun ?".
      > It is a truism to recall that everything in Africa is not serious,
      grave and codified : as well as in other parts of the world,
      masquerades can be a time of fun, using faces of characters whom the
      whole community know or remember.
      > Maybe this mask is a reflection of the face of any visitor... maybe
      a collector who came to an Ibibio village, trying to
      find "antiques" ?
      > So, i believe your mask is authentic : not traditional for sure,
      but not made for trade either.

      > As to the influence of Indonesian/Malay arts in Africa : it has
      been well established concerning East Africa -in Madagascar
      especially but also in Kenya & Tanzania (cf Marc L. Felix, for
      example).
      > But, as to indonesian sailors, i wonder why they would travel
      around and end in Nigeria with masks of the Ramayana or Mahabharata ?
      > Cheers
      > Vero

      Art