Re: [African_Arts] Re: Need help with identifying a mask

  • Ann Porteus
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 21, 2008
      Cathy,
      Do you think that a visit to a local gallery or museum and a comparative study of the differences between the old used and traditional art from Africa as opposed to recent reproductions could be a useful exercise for your students.
      Maybe they would like to see the changes which occur when African art is taken away from the significance of its traditional culture and changed by others to suit purely commercial purposes.
      We have regular groups visit us from infants school to Arts students from the local university. I like to think that they all benefit from the experience. It is great to see the little ones. We supply paper and pencils and sit them down on African seats with the piece that they each choose and encourage them to draw. Some of their studies and interpretations are amazing.
      ann

      On 21/10/2008, at 3:03 AM, Cathy wrote:

      Yes, now I see that this surely is not an old piece and probably not
      authentic, but I have a nice example to show my art classes and context
      to explain it as well!
      Thanks for the help, again.