nail fetish

  • robbohudson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
      anybody tell me how old this is..see pics..nail fetish by robbo
    • k2hsharpe
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
        --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "robbohudson" <puffedz@...> wrote:

        > anybody tell me how old this is..see pics..nail fetish by robbo

        are there any pics associated with this posting?
        Kevin

        Moderator's note:
        Images can be viewed at this link:

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
          As usual I will circum-navigate the specific question pertaining to age (and authenticity) in favor of providing links to broader discussion about the class of figure queried...

          The nkisi is a well-recognized and oft-reproduced form, so it is difficult to assess authenticity and age from a cursory consideration.  As with all forms, it is a worthwhile pursuit to survey and study as many examples as possible to develop an eye for the examples for which collection data and history are available.  Numerous previous discussions provide links to such examples.  (See messages 3430 for links to links to links...)

          Minkisi attributed to the group classified as Mangaaka -- which is but one of many diverse classes of minkisi -- are among the most compelling and well-documented.  For related links, see Message 973 which is among the linked previous discussions in the above-referenced message as well as the article featuring this figure on the Met site (also the more detailed analysis from "Art and Oracle").  Other Minkisi Mangaaka can be seen at the Dallas Museum of Art (image) and at the Rijksmuseum voor Volkenkunde in Leiden (second image below and link).

          Another example (link) of minkisi minkondi can be seen at the National Museum in Liverpool which includes an interesting discussion regarding the scientific analysis of elements providing insight and clues regarding authenticity, effectiveness and the symbolic construction of such figures:

          More detailed discussions of the figures, their functions and the complexities of classification can be viewed in two published works by Watt MacGaffey -- Astonishment and Power (Washington, DC:  Smithsonian Institution,1993) and Kongo Political Culture: The Conceptual Challenge of the Particular Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2000).  See excerpts from the latter here.

          Lee

          On Sep 29, 2008, at 10:04 AM, robbohudson wrote:

          anybody tell me how old this is..see pics..nail fetish by robbo

        • ikunaantik
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 2012
            In the year 1978 I bought a nail fetish in Lusaka/Sambia. It must be quite original because our house maid never got anywhere close to it and the floor underneath the sideboard never got sweeped. She said that the skin on his back is from a monkey and the turtles shell means that the fetish can fly.

            Can anybody give me some clues as to the origin of the fetish? I believe it comes from Zaire/Kongo.

            or
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/538478115/pic/list