Newbie Bob _ Just Posted Close ups

  • bobbybress
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2008
      Hi Steve et.al,

      I just posted two close up pictures of the back of my larger nkisi
      and am looking for insight:

      As Steve recommended, I looked at penetration points to see if they all seem the same. Of the nails and blades in this sculpture, there certainly seems to a different level of corrosion on the key penetrating the back of the sculpture I show in the picture than all of the other nails and blades in it. It appears to have went in well before all the other punctures. Do keys have any history or meaning in African sculpture? Without all the other nails and blade, leaving the key as the only "nail" in it, the sculpture would appear like a wind-up doll of sorts. It may mean nothing at all but it stood out to me when i first looked at the sculpture and even more as I've examined it more closely. TIA to anyone who replies.

      best,

      Bob