Re: Fw: [African_Arts] price upon request

  • toguna2002
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
      Hi Doug, Steve et al:
      Sometimes it depends on the manner how someone asks for a price. An
      email sent out of the anonymity of the internet written like "how
      much this" – with an address like "bomber@..." and signed
      "B.R."… I think this is not the nicest way to make inquiries and
      communication in general.
      Then, if the dealer gives the informations by email (and maybe the
      price is out of your reach ) how many of the "prospective buyers"
      have the courage to answer – at least with a "thank you"?!
      That's my "internet experience" . Therefore I understand other dealers
      who likewise only give informations about prices by email if they know
      the clients personally.
      And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a valuable
      horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?

      Sincerely,
      Armin Bies
      www.galerie-orisha.de
    • Steve Price
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
        Hi Armin

        "And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
        valuable horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?"

        You're probably right. I just checked eBay, and there isn't even one
        live horse for sale.

        I usually close with "regards", but we don't know each other
        personally.

        Steve Price

        --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "toguna2002" <toguna2002@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Doug, Steve et al:
        > Sometimes it depends on the manner how someone asks for a price. An
        > email sent out of the anonymity of the internet written like "how
        > much this" – with an address like "bomber@..." and signed
        > "B.R."… I think this is not the nicest way to make inquiries and
        > communication in general.
        > Then, if the dealer gives the informations by email (and maybe the
        > price is out of your reach ) how many of the "prospective buyers"
        > have the courage to answer – at least with a "thank you"?!
        > That's my "internet experience" . Therefore I understand other
        dealers
        > who likewise only give informations about prices by email if they
        know
        > the clients personally.
        > And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
        valuable
        > horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Armin Bies
        > www.galerie-orisha.de

      • johnhf1947
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2008
          Bon Soir,

          Is it not blindingly obvious that to show an item without a price is an attempt to
          create a dialogue? In the old days of walk in galleries (remember them?) the
          proprietor and prospective buyer could size each other up a long time before
          pleasantries were exchanged. As a youth I had great pleasure in annoying self
          important London gallery owners by wearing wrecked shoes - its the shoes they
          looked at first -picking up a highly priced object , asking one or two pre rehearsed
          erudite questions and then asking if they had anything better.

          I must also take issue with Steve Price's statement that we do not buy 'live horses' -
          obviously a metaphor for animals - on ebay. I will not be the only member of the
          group who, in the search for African goodies, who has bought some real turkeys.

          Regards ( I know we do not know each other personally, but we unintentional poultry
          buyers are a genial lot)

          John F

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Price" <sprice@...> wrote:

          > Hi Armin
          >
          > "And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
          > valuable horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?"
          >
          > You're probably right. I just checked eBay, and there isn't even one
          > live horse for sale.
          >
          > I usually close with "regards", but we don't know each other
          > personally.
          >
          > Steve Price
          >

          > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "toguna2002" <toguna2002@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Doug, Steve et al:
          > > Sometimes it depends on the manner how someone asks for a price. An
          > > email sent out of the anonymity of the internet written like "how
          > > much this" – with an address like "bomber@" and signed
          > > "B.R."… I think this is not the nicest way to make inquiries and
          > > communication in general.
          > > Then, if the dealer gives the informations by email (and maybe the
          > > price is out of your reach ) how many of the "prospective buyers"
          > > have the courage to answer – at least with a "thank you"?!
          > > That's my "internet experience" . Therefore I understand other
          > dealers
          > > who likewise only give informations about prices by email if they
          > know
          > > the clients personally.
          > > And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
          > valuable
          > > horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > > Armin Bies
          > > www.galerie-orisha.de

        • M.E.F.
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 2008
            Thanks Steve and John for being so witty! It makes a change. Good reading first thing in the morning, coffee mug by my side.

            I am going to be (a lot less witty) (and a lot  more) provocative if not my usual down right tactless self and ask if the person who asked for prices might not have annoyed the seller in some way? After all, he wants to sell and would not want to alienate potential buyers. Though not a dealer in any way myself, I want us to consider what a difficult business this is and how hard it is to actually make a living. I know one or two young man and women who indulge their love for this form of art and hope to actually be able to live off it and just a very few who made a name for themselves a long time ago, actually do. I sense a bit of discomfort even with those.

            Think about it and lets be kind to the people who supply our habit..Margalit

            Is it not blindingly obvious that to show an item without a price is an attempt to
            create a dialogue? In the old days of walk in galleries (remember them?) the
            proprietor and prospective buyer could size each other up a long time before
            pleasantries were exchanged. As a youth I had great pleasure in annoying self
            important London gallery owners by wearing wrecked shoes - its the shoes they
            looked at first -picking up a highly priced object , asking one or two pre rehearsed
            erudite questions and then asking if they had anything better.

            I must also take issue with Steve Price's statement that we do not buy 'live horses' -
            obviously a metaphor for animals - on ebay. I will not be the only member of the
            group who, in the search for African goodies, who has bought some real turkeys.

            Regards ( I know we do not know each other personally, but we unintentional poultry
            buyers are a genial lot)

            John F

            --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, "Steve Price" <sprice@...> wrote:

            > Hi Armin
            >
            > "And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
            > valuable horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?"
            >
            > You're probably right. I just checked eBay, and there isn't even one
            > live horse for sale.
            >
            > I usually close with "regards", but we don't know each other
            > personally.
            >
            > Steve Price
            >

            > --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, "toguna2002" <toguna2002@ >
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Doug, Steve et al:
            > > Sometimes it depends on the manner how someone asks for a price. An
            > > email sent out of the anonymity of the internet written like "how
            > > much this" – with an address like "bomber@" and signed
            > > "B.R."… I think this is not the nicest way to make inquiries and
            > > communication in general.
            > > Then, if the dealer gives the informations by email (and maybe the
            > > price is out of your reach ) how many of the "prospective buyers"
            > > have the courage to answer – at least with a "thank you"?!
            > > That's my "internet experience" . Therefore I understand other
            > dealers
            > > who likewise only give informations about prices by email if they
            > know
            > > the clients personally.
            > > And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
            > valuable
            > > horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?
            > >
            > > Sincerely,
            > > Armin Bies
            > > www.galerie- orisha.de

          • Tookalook.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 8, 2008

              Hello to all,

              I have been following this thread with interest as I am one of these dealers who choose not to show prices on my website (www.tookalook.com).

              After nearly 10 years in business on the web I think I am one who has tried every manner and technique to see which yeilds the best result.  I can only say , despite the raging debate, that I find not showing prices to be the only way to go.  The reasons are many in the chess game that is selling on the web but first and foremost, as some of you have remarked, is that this is the only way in which I have any chance of engaging a potential buyer in dialogue.   This important point cascades into many other factors/reasons.

              Selling on the web is a game of tactics.   While it may begin with luring (if I may be so candid) a potential buyer with attractive items the simple fact is that people end up window shopping and simply 'moving along'  if they find that the listed price doesn't suit them for whatever reason.  As a dealer, listing prices means that we shoot our entire arsenal in one shot, not leaving any second chance for discussion, negotiation or proposing new works to said potential buyers (who may pass on items shown but be interested in other items held in stock).

              I can only say,for myself, that not everything I own is on my site for that very same reason.  It allows me to respond positively to the inevitable "do you have anything else similar (or other)".  Folks like to think that they may have an exclusive viewing at times. (it's also the reason for which I asked my programmers to allow for the creation of private galleries on my site, that I can aim to specific buyers).

              I too, when shopping the web, like to see prices listed but I like that for obvious selfish reasons.  As a buyer, my questions are immediately and anonymously answered whether shopping, comparing or just learning.   That said, I understand that this works for me but not necessarily for the seller, as I often walk away without contacting the seller, or worse, without buying.

              We dealers deal.  Some days  may see us proposing items at tiny margins above our cost and while doubling up (for eg) on other days.   The reality of our daily / weekly 'needs' may dictate how we feel about pricing an object on a given day, over and above the 'regular' pricing that our purchase price dictates.  It's a simple fact of life and buyers could understand that we forego that opportunity if we list our prices outright.    Same goes for an item that we may have had in stock for long and wish to move along on a given day.

              Dealers also wish to build a client list (or email list, as applies on the web).  Inquiries allow us to add to email lists while shoppers that look and pass on do not.

              Simply said, without writing a 3 page post, not listing prices gives us an opportunity to be engaged in the game, rather than just standing by with fingers crossed.

              Hoping this sheds a bit of light, with Warmest Regards to all!

              Marc

              --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "johnhf1947" <johnhfalkner@...> wrote:

              > Bon Soir,
              >
              > Is it not blindingly obvious that to show an item without a price is an attempt to
              > create a dialogue? In the old days of walk in galleries (remember them?) the
              > proprietor and prospective buyer could size each other up a long time before
              > pleasantries were exchanged. As a youth I had great pleasure in annoying self
              > important London gallery owners by wearing wrecked shoes - its the shoes they
              > looked at first -picking up a highly priced object , asking one or two pre rehearsed
              > erudite questions and then asking if they had anything better.
              >
              > I must also take issue with Steve Price's statement that we do not buy 'live horses' -
              > obviously a metaphor for animals - on ebay. I will not be the only member of the
              > group who, in the search for African goodies, who has bought some real turkeys.
              >
              > Regards ( I know we do not know each other personally, but we unintentional poultry
              > buyers are a genial lot)
              >
              > John F
              >

              > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Price" sprice@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Armin
              > >
              > > "And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
              > > valuable horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?"
              > >
              > > You're probably right. I just checked eBay, and there isn't even one
              > > live horse for sale.
              > >
              > > I usually close with "regards", but we don't know each other
              > > personally.
              > >
              > > Steve Price
              > >

              > > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "toguna2002" <toguna2002@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Doug, Steve et al:
              > > > Sometimes it depends on the manner how someone asks for a price. An
              > > > email sent out of the anonymity of the internet written like "how
              > > > much this" – with an address like "bomber@" and signed
              > > > "B.R."… I think this is not the nicest way to make inquiries and
              > > > communication in general.
              > > > Then, if the dealer gives the informations by email (and maybe the
              > > > price is out of your reach ) how many of the "prospective buyers"
              > > > have the courage to answer – at least with a "thank you"?!
              > > > That's my "internet experience" . Therefore I understand other
              > > dealers
              > > > who likewise only give informations about prices by email if they
              > > know
              > > > the clients personally.
              > > > And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
              > > valuable
              > > > horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?
              > > >
              > > > Sincerely,
              > > > Armin Bies
              > > > www.galerie-orisha.de

            • Steve Price
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 8, 2008
                Hi Marc

                Your motivation is pretty much what I expected would be true for most
                internet dealers. It makes sense (to me, at least) to initiate
                dialogs with potential buyers, and that's a good way to do it.

                I was surprised by Armin Bies approach, exactly the opposite of
                yours - he says that he'll respond to inquiries about prices only if
                they come from people he already knows personally. It looks like
                these are diametrically opposite models for selling African art on
                the internet. I have to assume that both work well enough to keep
                beer in the seller's refrigerator.

                Regards

                Steve Price

                --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Tookalook.com" <bullseye@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > > obviously a metaphor for animals - on ebay. I will not be the only
                > member of the
                > > group who, in the search for African goodies, who has bought some
                real
                > turkeys.
                > >
                > > Regards ( I know we do not know each other personally, but we
                > unintentional poultry
                > > buyers are a genial lot)
                > >
                > > John F
                > >

                > > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Price" sprice@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Armin
                > > >
                > > > "And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
                > > > valuable horse only from a picture that he has seen in the
                > internet?"
                > > >
                > > > You're probably right. I just checked eBay, and there isn't
                even one
                > > > live horse for sale.
                > > >
                > > > I usually close with "regards", but we don't know each other

              • Ed Jones
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 8, 2008
                  I think, the very reasons Marc mentioned is why many in the retail world - globally reflects a "price upon request" strategy, especially in ceratin tourist areas and developing economies as well.

                  I have always understood it as just that, "a strategy" for selling and it is can be very effective for both at times.  I actually enjoy it with my favorite merchants, especially in Turkey.  When I was in Tunisia, I noticed the haggling get's down-right aggressive and a bit demeaning as it seems.  After agreement (purchase), both parties enjoy tea and a meal - emerging in a friendly and wonderful way.   It is also understandable why a nation accustomed to displayed and "fixed" prices would object and perceive a negative bias to this sort of thing.

                  It's nothing more than "haggling or jostling" and is as old as man-kind.  This is nothing new... it is healthy when there is mutual respect between buyer and seller and both parties understand the "strategy".

                  Ed.

> [...]

                  > > > email sent out of the anonymity of the internet written like "how
                  > > > much this" – with an address like "bomber@" and signed
                  > > > "B.R."… I think this is not the nicest way to make inquiries and
                  > > > communication in general.
                  > > > Then, if the dealer gives the informations by email (and maybe the
                  > > > price is out of your reach ) how many of the "prospective buyers"
                  > > > have the courage to answer – at least with a "thank you"?!
                  > > > That's my "internet experience" . Therefore I understand other
                  > > dealers
                  > > > who likewise only give informations about prices by email if they
                  > > know
                  > > > the clients personally.
                  > > > And ( maybe I`m wrong ) which serious horse lover will buy a
                  > > valuable
                  > > > horse only from a picture that he has seen in the internet?

                • victor cinti
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 8, 2008
                    Good day!

                    My post seems to have given a few something to discuss.

                    It was interesting to see some different perspectives although most I had expected.

                    I am still a bit confused as to why 90% of my requests go unanswered.

                    I have had to deal with gallery owners for most of my life (visiting them, selling through them and buying from them). I find a large majority to be strange business people with little or no people skills.

                    I have been made to feel unwelcome as a visitor, unworthy as an artist and a walking dollar sign as a costumer.

                    This is the original request that prompted my questions to the group:

                    After viewing your online gallery I have found two items in your recent acquisitions section that I find quite interesting. I hope that they are still available and that you can provide me with pricing and perhaps some provenance.

                    I freely admit that the majority of my emails are rather direct- some may say curt. This one, I thought, was rather nice.

                    There was some mention of dealers not knowing who send the request(s).

                    I don't hide my name and googling has become a past time for many people.

                    Victor Cinti