Re: Boston area museums

  • congabongoman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
      Postscript: We just got back from our trip. Due to time
      constraints, however, we weren't able to make it out to the Peabody.
      We did get to the BMFA--the african collection there was small but
      excellent. We also visited the Gardner, which alone was worth the
      trip--a truly amazing collection of "non-african" art and incredible
      gardens.

      Lee and others--thanks again for your recommendations. We're
      definitely planning on visiting Boston again soon when we have more
      time to spend there.

      Best Regards,

      Chris

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "congabongoman"
      <congabongoman@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to Lee and the rest of you for the excellent suggestions! We
      > visited the Yale museum last summer (quite impressive African
      > collection), so I guess we'll give Harvard a turn. Thanks again.
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > Moderator's Note: It will be interesting to hear your impressions
      of the different museums as they are worlds and decades apart in the
      presentation of their holdings. Yale is more obviously influenced by
      recent museographic re-articulations while the Peabody offers a
      glimpse of the predominantly ethnographic approach which
      characterized earlier 20th century perceptions before the current
      inclination to integrate artifact-and art-based perspectives. The
      ethnographic and aesthetic are not, of course, mutually exclusive
      approaches but I think you will find them quite differently balanced
      in the two locales.

      > The Peabody itself is a testament to an earlier period of thought
      and perception and displays how African art as an assemblage
      of "artifacts" was relegated to the realm of an ethnographic other
      distinct from the more inclusive, art-based approach observable at
      the newer galleries at Yale and elsewhere. In some ways the Peabody
      allows one to see how "non-Western" works have been (and continue --
      in this instance -- to be) presented -- as if the very Museum itself
      were part of the exhibition. Although the collection is currently
      accessible as a research and teaching collection which does integrate
      newer thinking, the description on the Peabody web-site reflects this
      museographic adherence to a prior historical moment:

      > "Founded in 1866, the Peabody Museum is one of the oldest museums
      in the world devoted to anthropology and houses one of the most
      comprehensive records of human cultural history in the Western
      Hemisphere..."

      > Lee
      >

      > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Usmanou Nsangou" <unsangou@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > There's also the Hamill Gallery of African Art ,2164 Washington
      St.
      > Boston, MA 02119 Email: thamill@ Tel: (617) 442-8204 Fax: (617)
      > 442-0403 ...
      > >
      > > http://www.hamillgallery.com/SITE/TheGallery.html