African art

  • liloo_00
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2008
      Hello,

      I wonder if any of you could recommend me some books in relation to
      african art?

      Have a nice day
    • rdshaffer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008
        Hi,
        In general, Prestel publishes a great many 'art' books. I recently
        received a 2007 reprint of "African masks - the Barbier-Mueller
        collection" which is both beautiful and educational.

        I recommend a visit to www.amazon.com and just search on key words
        "african art". You will find enuf there to whet your appetite for
        knowledge. If not, I know a great shop in Brussels...

        RD Shaffer

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008
          The diversity of publications available on African art is perhaps as great as the diversity of African traditions and forms.  It is difficult to narrow down the selection.  However, for general interest, there are a number of general surveys of varying depths that provide good introductions from which to move toward more specific treatments of particular forms and traditions.

          One very popular, simple, well organized and illustrated book is Jean-Baptiste Bacquart's The Tribal Arts of Africa (New York:  Thames and Hudson, 1998).  Divided into broad geographical regions (as most general surveys), this book is a good introductory reference to help develop recognition of the most widely known and collected traditions forms.  The text is sparse and general, but the book can be a helpful general reference.  The book/catalogue  edited by Tom Phillips which was released in conjunction with the Royal Academy of Arts/Guggenheim exhibition AFRICA:  The Art of a Continent  (Munich, London, New York:  Prestel Verlag, ?) -- offers an equally broad range but far more detailed information and references by a range of scholars in specific areas and disciplines.  A third survey -- more textual than pictorial -- that rounds out these general, well-illustrated publications is A History of Art in Africa (New York:  Harry N. Abrams, 2001) by Monica Blackmun Visona, Robin Poynor, Herbert M. Cole and Michael D. Harris.  These three publications are widely available as are earlier, more portable books such as Frank Willett's African Art (Thames and Hudson, 1971/1993) and Werner Gillon's A Short History of African Art (Penguin Books, 1984).

          A less widely accessible broad survey that is excellent as a general reference resource is Jacques Kerchache, Jean-Louis Paudrat and Lucien Stephan's L'Art Africain/Art of Africa.  Copiously illustrated, this book -- available in both French and English -- also provides many illustrations and general essays on African art.  Another classic survey which precedes all of the books thus far mentioned is Michel Leiris and Jacqueline Delange's 1967/1968 African Art (Thames & Hudson) -- particularly interesting for its providing a perspective on the evolution of scholarship pertaining to African art in the West.  The various editions of Robbins and Nooter's African Art in American Collections is another excellent reference survey.

          There are numerous books which focus on specific museum and private collections which also provide excellent introductions and surveys of a broad range of African traditions.  Among them are Christopher Roy's Art and Life in Africa (the Stanley Collection), Frederick Lamp's See the Music, Hear the Dance (Baltimore Museum of Art), Vogel and Ndiaye's African Masterpieces (Musée de l'Homme), Hahner-Herzog et al's  African Masks and Schmalenbach's African Art (Barbier-Mueller Collection)... to name a few.

          Survey works focusing on contemporary African Art include Magnin and Soulilou's Contemporary African Art, Magnin et al's African Art Now, and the catalogue of the Africa Remix exhibition as well as Sidney Littlefield Kasfir's Contemporary African Art. Susan Vogel's Africa Explores also "explores" the broader conception of African art as a body of continuous and evolving forms and practices beyond the more conservative, "traditional" concepts of African art.

          One invaluable resource which I would include are back issues of African Arts magazine, which provides both scholarly articles and  -- in its advertisements -- documentation of commercial offerings that have appeared on the market over the last 40 or so years as well as the traders and dealers through whom they have been offered.

          I am sure that other group members have their preferred primary references for identification, classification, interpretation and comparison which will necessarily include more specialized works on specific regions, traditions, media, etc.

          Lee

          On Jun 18, 2008, at 5:29 AM, rdshaffer wrote:

          Hi,
          In general, Prestel publishes a great many 'art' books. I recently
          received a 2007 reprint of "African masks - the Barbier-Mueller
          collection" which is both beautiful and educational.

          I recommend a visit to www.amazon.com and just search on key words
          "african art". You will find enuf there to whet your appetite for
          knowledge. If not, I know a great shop in Brussels...

          RD Shaffer

          --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, "liloo_00" <liloo_00@.. .> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I wonder if any of you could recommend me some books in relation to
          > african art?
          >
          > Have a nice day

        • Mark Rasmussen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008

            Hello All,

            For those of you with an interest in Benin , Ife , Nok, and Asian materials, an important book has just been released – “Original – Copy – Fake?

            If you are considering buying in these areas, it is a must read…

            http://www.zabern.de/controller.php?cmd=detail&titelnummer=3909&verlag=5

            There is one other book that is critical for Benin collectors, it is Benin: Kings and Rituals“ (http://www.amazon.com/Benin-Kings-Rituals-O-J-Eboreime/dp/9053496262/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213640213&sr=8-1).

            Thank you,

            Mark Rasmussen - Rare Collections
            5865 Neal Avenue North, Suite 345
            Stillwater, MN 55082 USA
            612-961-4747 (Cell)
            mark@...
            www.rare-collections.com

> [...]

            Lee

            On Jun 18, 2008, at 5:29 AM, rdshaffer wrote:

            Hi,
            In general, Prestel publishes a great many 'art' books. I recently
            received a 2007 reprint of "African masks - the Barbier-Mueller
            collection" which is both beautiful and educational.

            I recommend a visit to www.amazon.com and just search on key words
            "african art". You will find enuf there to whet your appetite for
            knowledge. If not, I know a great shop in Brussels ...

            RD Shaffer

            --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, "liloo_00" <liloo_00@.. .> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I wonder if any of you could recommend me some books in relation to

          • emilie degrange
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008

              Hello everybody,

              Thank you all for your suggestions. This is exactly what I was looking for. As some of you pointed it out, there are many books speaking about African art but it is always good to get additional recommendations.

              Have a nice day

              mark@rare-collectio ns.com
              www.rare-collection s.com

> [...]

              Lee

              On Jun 18, 2008, at 5:29 AM, rdshaffer wrote:

              Hi,
              In general, Prestel publishes a great many 'art' books. I recently
              received a 2007 reprint of "African masks - the Barbier-Mueller
              collection" which is both beautiful and educational.

              I recommend a visit to www.amazon.com and just search on key words
              "african art". You will find enuf there to whet your appetite for
              knowledge. If not, I know a great shop in Brussels ...

              RD Shaffer

              --- In African_Arts@ yahoogroups. com, "liloo_00" <liloo_00@.. .> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I wonder if any of you could recommend me some books in relation to

              Envoyé avec Yahoo! Mail.
              Une boite mail plus intelligente.