Three Unidentified Objects

  • Veronique Martelliere
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21 7:26 AM
      Bonjour to all !

      Saw in magazines these 3 objects (mask, stool & figure - figure on the right side of the page) and can't identify them. Can you help me ?
      Thank You for your attention and help..
      Have a nice day !
      Vero.

    • Paul De Lucco
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22 4:54 AM
        Veronique,

        Although I cannot identify the first mask exactly, it has characteristics of masks from a number of cultures in the southeast Congo or western Tanzania.  The eyes of the mask appear to have buckshot inserted for pupils - something I have only seen in old objects.  The mask appears to be carved in hard wood and has rather angular lines, which make me doubt that it is Luba even though the Luba have an affinity for animal masks.  I would suggest that it comes from a group living near the area of western Tanzania, perhaps the Fipa (see attached photo).  (Congolese animal masks are so realistic that it can be impossible to assign them for stylistic reasons to one culture or another.  With its elongated snout, this mask might also be Holo or even Pende.)

        The tabouret is a complete puzzle to me.  I note that it comes from Dartevelle's gallery in Brussels and I suggest you ask Pierre Dartevelle directly.  The doyen (soi-disant) of Belgian art dealers, he can be a bit brusque but, if you catch him at the right time of day, he can also be very helpful - bs868082@....

        The power figure has the look of Maniema to it.  (Roughly, this is the area traversed by the Congo River between Kabalo and Ubundu.)  With its heart-shaped face, it seems to come from the forested area between Kindu and Kongolo.  It might be Kusu but it could also be Hemba or any of the lesser known groups such as the Hombo or Bangu-Bangu.  I would guess that if we could see the entire piece, we would see that it was a half-figure, rather roughly carved from the neck down, and with a hole in the base for an iron rod to implant it in the ground inside a hut.  (I don't seem to have any photos.)

        Regards,

        Paul

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23 5:45 AM
          Hi Veronique,
          With the help of an expert friend :
          1]The first item since it is indistinctive it May come [not sure]from Mali or Ivory Coast region.
          2]The stool would be from Zambia ,Lovale perhaps.
          3]Definately a Hemba / Kusu from R.D.Congo.
          Regards,
          Ari

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
            Hi, Vero:

            I'm not quite sure what I am seeing in the first image you posted, but I am inclined to think the neck-rest shown in the second image might likely be Tsonga or Lozi/Barotse.  Although the animals depicted vary in the comparable objects I come across, the neck rest in the image you provided bears the most resemblance to a neck rest that appears on p. 109 (Figure 51) in The Art of Southeast Africa (Milano:  5 Continents Editions.  2002) -- a neck rest which displays a supporting animal figure with the same squared limbs as "yours" which other comparable examples don't generally exhibit.  Other similar examples (of neck rests or other objects with animals portrayed) have more rounded features such as the ones pictured below.

            The AMNH has a number of appuie-tetes or head/neckrests from the Zambian Lozi that bear a resemblance, although in each case below the animal is more rounded but the rest itself more squared than the object you presented.  Also worthy of note is the fact that only the first of these five has the limbs which resolve right into the base as do the feet of the animal figure on the object you presented.  The other four have articulated feet.

            Also, for comparison, here from Quai Branly are an  appuie-tete attributed to Tsonga of Mozambique and an urn with animal figure on the lid:

            Quai Branly Cat. Nos. 71.1890.65.11 &  73.1999.29.7

            At the MEG there is a comb (ETHAF 044628) attributed to the Rotse, or Lozi, in Zambia that includes an animal figure and again displays the squared limbs and feet which resolve into the base plane,  The figural elements of this piece seem to share a level of abstraction with the figure on the rest which you queried although other Lozi/Rotse objects with figural elements do display greater refinement and more roundedness :

            With regard to the third object, presumably a Hemba or Hemba-related figure, I am guessing the image may display one side of a double-sided kabeja figure.  Pursuant to Paul's commentary, I provide an image from MEG of a janus figure from the Kongolo region, one of areas to which Paul referred as a possible geographical source.

            Or in spite of noticeable stylistic differences, perhaps its form could be compared with that of this Kasongo kakudji from the Tomkins collection (http://www.tomkinscollection.org/static/object_132.html):

            Lee

            On Feb 21, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Veronique Martelliere wrote:

            Bonjour to all !

            Saw in magazines these 3 objects (mask, stool & figure - figure on the right side of the page) and can't identify them. Can you help me ?
            Thank You for your attention and help..
            Have a nice day !
            Vero.

          • walberto
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
              The first of the three pieces is Tanzanian. I have
              known this particular piece intimately for 15 years.
              It was purchased in Dar Es Salaam in the early 90s. In
              person it has a wonderful old, much handled patina. It
              has no piercings, was carved from very hard wood and
              is hollowed out on the back to the depth of about one
              inch. It is unclear what tribe carved it or whether
              it represesents a kongoni, a topi or some other large
              antelope. There are two dug out areas on the top of
              the head where presumably real horns were at one time
              attached.The piece is about 12" in length.

              The second piece is hard to judge from the image
              especially without knowing the scale. It doesn't look
              typically Lozi, but the iconography is similar...

              The last piece appears to be a Hemba or Kusu fetish,
              not a Kabeja
              --- Veronique Martelliere <proximatribal@...>
              wrote:

              > Bonjour to all !
              >
              > Saw in magazines these 3 objects (mask, stool &
              > figure - figure on the right side of the page) and
              > can't identify them. Can you help me ?
              > Thank You for your attention and help..
              > Have a nice day !
              > Vero.

              > Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            • Veronique Martelliere
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 15, 2008
                Merci beaucoup, Lee, for your illustrated, accurate and argumented answers to the question. You are an oasis of knowledge !!
                Thanks again, Lee