Any ideas what this could be?

  • lorimor29
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
      The wealth of knowledge of the participants of this site is
      extraordinary!! If I may tap into it one more time...the mask in
      picture 3 of my photos (lorimor29) has a small cloth pouch nailed on
      the forehead. This sack is filled with some sort of granular
      material (sand? powder?). Has anyone come across anything like this
      before or know what the purpose of the pouch would be? Any input
      would be appreciated.
      Lori

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
          Rand:
          Its is on the site under Photos, Lorimor29 and it is the third picture entitled Unknown---1.  If you click on it to enlarge you will see on the right side of the picture (being the left side of the forehead) there is a small pouch.
          Lori

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005

            Sorry, I needed to look a little harder at your photos. For some reason I thought you were adding a new mask to your photos and not talking about an existing one.

            If anyone else might have been confused like I was, here is a direct link to the photo:

            Although I do not know the meaning of the attached pouch on your specific mask, I do know that pouches filled with various substances were added to many different types of figures and masks, and the pouches contained substances that were believe to give a mask or figure a "special power".

            The magical/medicinal substances may be blood along with animal, vegetable, and mineral matter, or some other personally or ritually significant material. What is used depends on the significance of the material related to the intended purpose of the mask or statue.

            I am just speaking in general terms here. I know that the Kongo nkisi and nkondi figures often have attached pouches that have special meanings that are attached to them, but I am not really familiar with this type of practice in other cultures. You would assume that the significance would be fairly similar across all cultures in Africa since there are similarities in cultures all over the world.

            Maybe someone else has some input on the matter?

            Thanks!

            RAND

          • GARYGLS2000@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
              I have seen a number of Liberian Dan masks made for the tourist trade over the years with round "gree-grees" full of sand attached to their perimeters. They were obviously attached to make the prospective buyer think that they were old, authentic masks. In the case of Lori's mask, I suspect the attachment is, as Rand suggests, a legitimate fetish pouch of some kind.

              Gary S.