Re: Help to identify figure

  • walberto285
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
      I have a figure a little bit like this, also with traces of human hair. You can find a one roughly
      similar without hair in Kilengi identified as Sagara. The beadwork is Zulu-like but the Zulu are
      really a confederation of tribes with relatives spread across a wide area. The figure is
      probably from south eastern Tanzania. The head and patina are also similar to Tanzanian
      pieces from this area dating to the early colonial period. The presence of hair and the use of
      the body as a receptacle for magical substances back this up as does the overall pose.
      Because of the slave trade and later trade of all sorts, the building of railroads etc the many
      small tribes of this part of Africa migrated and in many cases merged with others and loss
      their identities.
    • Elly Friedman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
        Thank you-I've begun to think it is tanzania-possibly pare tribe. Elly

        To: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
        From: walberto285@...
        Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:02:43 +0000
        Subject: [African_Arts] Re: Help to identify figure

        I have a figure a little bit like this, also with traces of human hair. You can find a one roughly
        similar without hair in Kilengi identified as Sagara. The beadwork is Zulu-like but the Zulu are
        really a confederation of tribes with relatives spread across a wide area. The figure is
        probably from south eastern Tanzania. The head and patina are also similar to Tanzanian
        pieces from this area dating to the early colonial period. The presence of hair and the use of
        the body as a receptacle for magical substances back this up as does the overall pose.
        Because of the slave trade and later trade of all sorts, the building of railroads etc the many
        small tribes of this part of Africa migrated and in many cases merged with others and loss
        their identities.

      • amyas naegeleLast Name
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
          It's important to remember than Tanzania is amongst
          the most ethnically diverse countries in Africa and
          that there are scores of small tribes. The literature
          on the topic is very thin. I'm fairly certain your
          piece is Tanzanian. Take your time refining your
          research.

          http://mail.yahoo.com