Re: [African_Arts] Re: MAKONDE Exhibition, Publications, References

    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 3, 2007
      Alex:

      Please do indeed keep us apprised of the details of the now eagerly anticipated Makonde exhibition and any related publications.  I am particularly interested to access the bibliography and would be most eager for any advance references that you could recommend for learning more about Makonde culture and art -- particularly to gain insight into regional stylistics (for example, distinctions that can or cannot be made between works from Tanzanian vs Mozambican communities or whether and how that distinction does or does not apply).

      I do have a few Makonde figures among the members of my extended family (carved in wood) that I seek to contextualize and understand more fully, including a remarkable male figure and an extraordinary female among the group.  Any relevant recommendations and/or references to published and on-line sources as well as comparative examples would be very much appreciated from any and all!

      Thanks, Lee

      Message 40 of 40 , Sep 8, 2007
        Revisiting an earlier conversation...

        Although this particular example does not display the characteristics associated with Makonde sculpture, I came across this brief description on the British Museum site which locates the origin of 20th century Kenyan and Tanzanian soldier carvings -- of which Ed provided an example [http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/view/d47a?b=8] in our discussion regarding the Makonde.  Here is a link to a more Kamba-styled example of this modern tradition originated by the Kenyan carver Mutsiya Munge:

        Only a small, small fraction of the vast British Museum collection is accessible on-line but... while on the site, why not peruse the African?

        Access "Highlights"...

        or....

        -The Africa Garden:  contemporary sculptures by Sokari Douglas Camp, El Anatsui, Adam Madebe, Kester*, Cristovao Canhavato*, Hilario Nhatugueja*, Fiel dos Santos*, Adelino Serafim Maté*, Juginder Lamba, Emmanuel Taiwo Jegede, David Davidson, Daniel and Petra Carstens and Rachid Koraichi.

        * Also see sculptural works by these and other Mozambican artists transforming "Arms Into Art" -- creating sculpture composed of decommissioned weapons from the Mozambican Civil War which were exchanged for agricultural, domestic and construction tools  -- at http://www.africaserver.nl/nucleo/ and Kester's "Throne of Weapons".

        On this side of the Atlantic...

        As a reminder and/or for the benefit of new group members, the exhibition "Revolutions:  A Century of Makonde Masquerade in Mozambique" -- curated by group participant Alexander Borotolot --  opens on September 19 at the Wallach Art Gallery of Columbia University in New York with a curator's gallery talk on October 25 at 6:30pm.  See the attached or http://www.columbia.edu/cu/wallach/htm/exhibitions.html for further details.

        Also in New York, the exhibition "Visual Griots of Mali:  An Exhibition of African Youth Photography" opened yesterday and runs through November 25 at the Courtyard Gallery in the World Financial Center.