Fwd: New York - TRIBAL ART

  • RAND (Rand African Art)
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2007
      Hi all,

      Next week in New York is an exciting time in the Tribal Art world with the upcoming Sotheby's auctions on the 17th, which will be interesting to follow and see how it turns out, the Native American Indian auction the following day, and the New York International Tribal and Textile Arts Show from the 19th - 22nd. At the bottom of this message I've included a newsletter about the events that was sent out by Tribal Magazine.

      Sotheby's has put together a "minisite" on their website to showcase the Stanoff Collection, something fairly new for them, but it's nicely done and worth checking out. (link below)

      I won't be able to make it to New York for the Tribal arts show this year because I'm up to my ears in moving boxes preparing for my upcoming move to Boston, I'll be finishing my packing and loading that weekend so the moving company can pick up the containers the following Monday.

      Even though I won't be there I'm excited that a part of me will be represented at the NY Tribal show this year through a couple pieces previously from my collection that will be offered by a major European dealer from Belgium at the show. If I get everything packed up by Saturday there may be a chance that I'll fly out to NYC on Sunday just for the day to visit them and see them in that type of a setting.

      If you go to the NY show, make sure and stop by and say hello to Ben Hunter from London(www.tribalhunter.com) who will be exhibiting at the show for his first time this year, I wish him the best of luck.

    • theshamangallery
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14, 2007
        hello rand , That is news to me that you are joining us on the east
        coast , well , I hope to see more of you now that you are only about 6
        hours away , please drop me an email and lets catch up.

        We will miss you at the show this year , I will be assisting Dave
        Deroche again , and we are sticking with the theme of "Monumental
        miniatures" , our booth is the far Right corner , same as last year.

        Some of the objects I will be showing this year are 2 wonderful old
        dogon miniatures as well as several Miniature precolumbian objects ,
        and I wanted to offer to anyone that is interested , that I will be
        staying in a apartment only a few blocks from the show and will have a
        nice selection of African and pre columbian objects to show privately
        if anyone wishes to make a appointment after show hours.

        I will have several large African items , not appropriate for our
        booth , including a Ibeju water spirit mask , a Jo Bulle (Mende) mask
        and a great old Pende illness mask , among other objects.

        drop me an email at theshamangallery@...

        Perhaps you will open a gallery in boston Rand?

        I hope so , all the best -Todd (andlina!)