Re: Monthly book drawing for APRIL 2007

  • RAND (Rand African Art)
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi group -

      The winner for the book drawing for APRIL is:

      Paul Nieuwenhuysen of Antwerp, Belgium

      Paul, the book Material Journeys: Collecting African And Oceanic Art, 1945-2000, Selections from the Genevieve McMillan Collection, will be on it's way to you soon. I hope you'll enjoy the book, especially the essays in Chapters 1 and 2 that touch on the the title of the exhibition and book.

      The essay in Chapter 1 is entitled "Collecting African and Oceanic Art in the Second Half of the Twentieth Century" and the essay in Chapter 2 is entitled "Paris - Cambridge, Massachusetts", both are EXCELLENT and each of them talk about many interesting factors regarding the African art market and how it changed and evolved during the 2nd half of the 20th Century.

      The rest of the book is wonderfully illustrated and has in-depth information about the objects and the cultures the objects came from, it's really one of the best books to come out in recent times and I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

      Thanks again to Bobbi and Tim Hamill for donating this book for the book drawing this month.

      I'm currently reading the book for the MAY book drawing and I'll be announcing it mid May. This book touches more on the life and culture of Africa rather than the art. It is a relentlessly unsentimental rendering of Nigerian tribal life before and after the coming of colonialism. Life in Africa before and after colonialism is an area of great interest to me, and this book is really great.

      Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
      From: "RAND \(Discover African Art\)" <rand@...>
      Subject: Monthly book drawing for APRIL 2007
      To: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
      CC: rand@...

      Hi group,

      The month has flown by again and I realized that I hadn't done the announcement for the book drawing yet this month.

      The book for this month's drawing is:
      Material Journeys: Collecting African And Oceanic Art, 1945-2000
      Selections from the Genevieve McMillan Collection

      Essays by Christraud M. Geary and Stephanie Xatart

      This book was kindly donated for the book drawing this month by Bobbi and Tim Hamill (Hamill Gallery, Boston).

      The book accompanies an exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. It's a great book that is richly illustrated with wonderful photos and a lot of information. The essays by Christraud Geary and Stephanie Xatart are very good.

      Click on the link below to read a little more about this book and the exhibition and find out how to enter the drawing.

      I will announce the winner of the book in the group on Monday April 30th, and I will also announce it on my website as well.