Fwd: ..Fang Byeri Head, Benin Ivory, Dan Mask.... please help?

  • Vicky Visagie
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007

      Dear collectors.. (if you are unable to view the Photo's, they are in a photo album named 'Vicky Visagie')

      will you please share your thoughts with me on
      the following objects?

      No1:
      a Fang Byeri head.. which is one of my favourites in
      my collection..
      do you know anything about the scarification mark
      on the chin?.. or have you seen it before?..
      it has a beautifull shiny black patina,
      which is transparent on some places..
      the statue is 28cm tall..

      No2: is a Dan Mask.. a bit different then the usual style..
      in good condition with a black patina,
      but the teeth is no longer in place..
      do you know of a simular one?

      No3: is an ivory from Benin, 'Horse and rider'
      25cm tall with a brownish red patina..
      still in perfect condition, just a little worn by age..
      but it will be auctioned off soon...
      Have you seen a similar one in an auction before?..

      i thank you for your time..

      Kind Regards
      Vicky Visagie

      Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail.

    • RAND (Rand African Art)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2007
        Vicky,
        Thanks for your posting(s). I know that Lee responded to your post about the 3 masks and the terracotta, but I don’t think anyone has responded to this post about the Fang byeri, Benin ivory and Dan mask. I could be wrong though, I’m several hundred emails behind. There are a lot of posts that I have started replies to, but haven’t had the time to finish them. Hopefully soon I will be able to participate more actively in conversations in the group again and provide a little more content.

        I’ll try and free my mind from writing technical documents and attempt some quick answers to your questions. I’ll stick to the questions you ask in your post.

        1)      Fang Byeri head –

        I personally don’t recall seeing a Nlo-Byeri head with any type of scarification marks on it (could be bad memory), and I’ve only seen a few Byeri figures with scarification marks represented on them.

        In the Verite auction they give a sample, on page 212 of the online catalog, of various Fang scarifications. The diagram was taken from the book “Fang” from the Musee Dapper I believe. The book is published in French, but for me it’s a good visual reference book.

        Link to the online catalog for the Verite auction below. It’s a great visual reference resource and at the bottom of the catalog they give English versions of the text for each piece.

        2)      Dan mask

        I don’t recall ever seeing a Dan mask with this unusual thing coming from the chin. My first thought from seeing the photo was that the appendage was meant to be a handle of some sort, there are masks from other cultures that have this, but I can’t recall seeing one on a Dan mask before.

        3)      Benin equestrian figure

        I’ve seen figures similar to this before. They may look old, but most likely aren’t, they are objects made specifically for the collecting market in my opinion.

        A nice example of a Benin equestrian figure on a sceptre (page takes a bit of time to load)

        Books with images of old Benin ivory objects:

        Cheers
        RAND