Re: [African_Arts] Re : Senufo Kpelie

  • Veronique Martelliere
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2007
      Thank You, W8s !

       I can't decide if something is rare or not. I leave that to professionals'expertise.
      The thing is that the Kpelie masks that I have seen until now seem to me more flat (flatter ?) than this one.. which is maybe a fake but which I would nevertheless  find interesting to compare with other ones of the same shape.
      It's a pity (for me) that you do not have any photos of the masks you mention !
      Meanwhile, I have visited your site with interest.
      Cheers
      Vero

      sanibelart@... wrote:
      Methinks this is a fairly common kpelie style. It certainly is similar to many that I have seen and some that I have owned. Not identical. But stylistically very similar.

      W8s

      Sincerely,
      William Ernest Waites
      Aboriginals: Art of the First Person
      http://www.tribalwo rks.com
      http://www.ZuniLink .com
      http://www.Native- PotteryLink. com
      http://www.Native- JewelryLink. com

      http://www.TribalAr tery.blogspot. com
      From: Veronique Martelliere <proximatribal@ yahoo.com>
      > Bonjour Rand,
      >
      > Would like to show you this unusual Kpelie mask which comes from the Senufo
      > community of Burkina Faso (Ferkessedougou) ..
      > It's a mask used for celebrating ceremonies. (I will probably think of using
      > it for celebrating the book I won on last month draw - Thank You, Rand !)
      >
      > If someone has or has seen another Burkinabe Kpelie mask of this type, I would
      > like to see it for comparison.
      > Thank You !
      > Cheers
      > Vero

      > Finding fabulous fares is fun.
      > Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel
      bargains.