Re: [African_Arts] Yombe statue?

  • Ed Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 19 3:53 PM
      Greetings again Wendy.

      Thanks for the "first-hand field" advice ... you echo much of the same sentiments of a dear friend of ours (from Tasmania, AU).   She frequently travels to many regions of Africa ...
      I totally agree with you, this arena is an EXPECTIONAL learning resource, thanks to passionate people (yourself, Steve Price, etc).
      The flip side, where there is good deeds, bad deeds will also surface.

      Ed

      zawadi toto <zawadi4me@...> wrote:
      Hi Sean,

      The markets here in Senegal, are full of statues like
      yours, I too have several, basically they sell here
      for between $20-$30 for the 14inch size up to $120 for
      a really big one, in the artisonal market downtown,
      and even cheaper in the markets over in Mali, I agree
      with Ed, nothing here seems to be that old
      anymore..... .but gee I enjoy trying to find them....

      And I thank you Lee and Rand, those links are really
      great reading, I love learning about the history
      behind these fetish figures, I must admit though I
      have seen a big increase in the volume of them for
      sale here..

      Cheers, Wendy

      But they Salesmen are great storytellers

      http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ view/6636? b=6&m=s&o= 0

      > Thanks,
      > Sean
      > www.theebonytree. com