Profile: Ernst Anspach

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2005

      I find it interesting to read various interviews with other African art collectors that have been done throughout the years. I came across an interview with Ernst Anspach in the February 1984 issue of Art & Auction this weekend and thought I would share it with you all.

      Below is the opening text and below it is the link to the interview.

      Profile: Ernst Anspach

      Religious content [in the wider sense of pointing beyond itself to the realms of ultimate

      concern] may . . . well be the reason why emotionally we prefer African tribal sculpture to other forms of primitive art which we admire without wanting them for permanent companions, "wrote Ernst Anspach in 1967 at the time that his and his wife Ruth's collection was exhibited at the Museum of Primitive Art in New York . According to the standards of many of today's collectors, Anspach's rationale for collecting is an odd one: he doesn't do it for prestige, nor for investment, nor — apparently — does he live for the day a museum will name a wing after him.

      As a student of theology, philosophy, sociology and economics, Anspach (who is a lawyer by profession) finds in African sculpture both a focus for and an extension of his other intellectual pursuits. He is the kind of collector whom scholars adore, even if (and despite the fact that his first 60 pieces came from dealers J.J. Klejman and Julius Carlbach) some dealers do not.

      And the sentiments are — most emphatically — reciprocated.

      — George Nelson Preston

      http://www.randafricanart.com/Ernst_Anspach_interview.html

      www.randafricanart.com